PDA

View Full Version : Arch Rebuild: English Tin Lead Test Results

Tidajo
04-15-2015, 07:40 PM
For those who have been curious, and as an answer for future readers-

I bought a 2 X 6 drop flue pan made of English Tin, which likely has been soldered with 50/50 solder which contains lead.
The pans were first cleaned with vinegar, which was not successful in removing some surface rust ( my arthritis didn't help).
The pans were blasted with recycled glass beads (allegedly softer than sandblasting), coated with vegetable oil (not sure why I did that. I think I was afraid of rusting after I rinsed the glass out), and I did a cleaning boil with 4 boxes of baking soda and water. I did some leak repair, and cleaned out the flux first.
I then boiled down 40 gallons of the first sap to as low as I could go (10-15 gallons). This was done on the advice I've found here. Possibly to coat the freshly exposed lead solder.

I then drained the pans completely, including vacuuming out the flues. I did not wipe or rinse.

I then began a fresh boil to sweeten the pans. That never occurred (save THAT story for another post!) but I drew some off after about 200 gallons had been boiled down and finished on stove.

A sample was sent off to Endyne Labs in Vermont. There has been many a conversation and concern here about lead content from these pans, as well as a debate/concern regarding lead contamination from spiles, buckets, tanks, etc.
I used all food grade plastic, with the exception of the evaporator pans.

The results came in, and state that the lead content is 0.027 ug/g (micrograms per gram) or 27 ppb.
The Vermont Dept. of Agriculture action level is .25 u/g or 250 ppb.

The reading of this sample is ten times below the minimum action level.

I am not here to encourage use of the 50/50 solder. I am not trying to debate the dangers of lead. I am merely stating facts as I found. It does dispel concerns that were brought to me, and I am more than comfortable eating this syrup, sharing it with friends, and selling it if I was to choose to do so.