PDA

View Full Version : New to me, gooseneck trailor

maple flats
04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
I've been looking at and planning to get a 6 or 7 ton gooseneck trailer to haul more sap (also to haul my tractor and 8000# excavator). A few weeks ago I got a call from my brother, he wanted to know if I was interested in going halves on one he had a lead on, 7 ton, for $2000. The deck was solid, PT plank and the tires were not new, but were very servicable. I jumped at the chance, thus I now am half owner of the trailer.
Before next season, I need to find a better box for my '01 F250 Diesel. The frame is still good, but the previous owner had a rubber mat and a plastic shell insert in it, thus the box is very rusted. There is a guy not far away who converts pick ups to wreckers or service trucks, he comes up with new and late model take offs and he is going to call when he gets one. He says any box from '98-'15 will fit (as long as it is a 6.5' box). As long as it isa solid, I don't care if the body lines don't line up (sorry you purists). I already own the rails, a 5th wheel and a gooseneck plate with a SS 25,000# ball just waiting for when I get a replacement box.
I figure with the trailer I'll be able to haul 4 food grade 275 gal totes rather than the two I can now haul, this will be a huge improvement, and my Diesel is well up to the task. The way I load the totes, I fill them to the neck, 100% full. As such I get 280 gal in one times 4 will be 1120 gal total in each trip. Will be a big timesaver, and as long as my truck trailer combo stays under 26,000# I'm all set.
Look out RO, here comes a nice load of sap!

n8hutch
04-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Dave I don't think it matters what you do to Ford Super Duty's, the body's don't last. The last 2 companies I have worked for have had Fleets of Super Duty's & get regular washing but they still rust out. Out this way it is pretty easy to get New take off body's. Still runs about 3,000.00 on average with paint. It really isn't all that noticeable either body lines are pretty similar, the wheel wells are slightly different but like you said no big deal. Those 7.3 diesels are hard to beat

georgelineman
04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Hey Dave, If you dont want to wait there is a place in Ct. that has a lot of used/new pickup bodys in stock they are on craigslist all the time. here is the number 1-800-852-6004. I have no idea what the prices are but it may be worth the call. Are you anywhere near Hamilton NY Colgate University? If so I may be able to help you with transport.
George