PDA

View Full Version : 2007

Jim Powell
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
For you experienced tappers, if the weather forcast from Intellicast for next week is correct, and I do realize that is a huge IF, is this the kind of temperatures that will start the sap to flow? Here is what they are saying now, and I have found they are pretty accurate.

Monday 36°
Tuesday 33°
Wednesday 37°
Thursday 37°
Friday 35°
Saturday 34°
Sunday 35°

markcasper
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Jim, Its too early, even if it does get to 40. There is some major frost in the ground with having no snow cover and the last 3 weeks being subzero almost every night. Alot of the days next week call for cloudiness as well.

Jim Powell
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Although we still have almost a foot of snow still where I am, I did think it would be too early to overcome the very cold temperatures we've been having. I also checked with the guy in WI (Andersons) I buy most of my stuff from, and he said to relax and focus on March.

Russ
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
If Accuweather is correct, it looks like another warm-up heading into the first weekend of March for our area in north-central WI. Plans are to assemble/wash the evaporator the weekend of 2/24-25 and prepare to start tapping 3/3-4 if the temperature pattern still looks favorable at that time. It takes us over a week to tap, so tubing will be first and bags/buckets last, as usual. Best to watch the weather and use your free time to get other things ready; don't rush the tapping. Frost is over 2 feet deep according to the gravediggers, plus we could still see some measurable snowfalls.

Good luck and good weather to all...

maple flats
02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Besides not being ready I would have a tough time tapping with this snow until it settles some. Right now there is about 36-48" in the woods and the top 24-30" is fluff. I tried snowshoes today and still sunk down about 2', makes real tiring walking, but without them I sunk in up to my mid chest and broke thru a crust the bottom foot or so which grabbed my boot and each step I had to fight to break my boot loose for the next step. If we ever get 3-4 days with little or no snow and maybe some sun I will be able to use the snowshoes and get some work done. For now I will plow snow and work in the sugarhouse.

Fred Henderson
02-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Besides not being ready I would have a tough time tapping with this snow until it settles some. Right now there is about 36-48" in the woods and the top 24-30" is fluff. I tried snowshoes today and still sunk down about 2', makes real tiring walking, but without them I sunk in up to my mid chest and broke thru a crust the bottom foot or so which grabbed my boot and each step I had to fight to break my boot loose for the next step. If we ever get 3-4 days with little or no snow and maybe some sun I will be able to use the snowshoes and get some work done. For now I will plow snow and work in the sugarhouse.

Are your snowshoes the correct size for your weight? That makes a big difference on stay on top.

maple flats
02-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Yes they are, this latest snow is extremely light and fluffy. The snowshoes I have are rated for up to 280# and I only weigh 195+ layers of clothes, can't be 280 total. I have 2 pr of snowshoes for dif conditions but these are the largest.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Even with the Alaskan shoes that are like 60" in total length you'll sink in a good 1' or more. I was amazed 1 year how well i could move around with those log suckers on my feet in the woods/Turned extra slow to avoid flippin'..

Fred Henderson
02-17-2007, 09:31 AM
It will be all melted in a month and you will be walking around out there with your slippers on.

The Back Forty
03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
My wife and I tapped our first trees today (first trees in our life!). Another new adventure! Only 15 degrees today, but supposed to be in the forties in a couple of days. We are down in Blue Earth County. Snowshoes helped a lot!

HanginAround
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Welcome, to the board and to the business. There is an "introduce yourself" thread if you want to post something there.

RileySugarbush
03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
My 40 taps are in and running in Minnesota. Moved my new arch into the old cabin I'm converting. It's looking good for next week.

twigbender
03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
We tapped for the first time this year on Tuesday, 3/13. Put out 55 taps on sap saks and will go with another 100 tomorrow. It's flowing but not very well -- some are and some are not. Hopefully, when this cold streak breaks we will be knee deep into it and having a blast. What surprises me is that we had very little snow cover for most of the winter with deep frost. Now we have had snow and I find that trees that still have a foot of snow around them and only a few days above freezing are running pretty well. Go figure!! This is in central Beltrami County for all you geographers out there!

RileySugarbush
03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
81° here today, after a 45° night, and I collected 34 gallons off 40 taps. Go figure!

Pete33Vt
03-27-2007, 05:13 AM
It would make sense. No ground cover(snow) and deep frost.The roots are froze pretty good. Takes a long time to thaw out. Were just the oppistie lotsa snow and no frost. So its touch and go. Still have some snow in the woods and alotta cold pockets. Hoping it holds out a few more weeks.

Jim Powell
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm near Mound and collected 25 gallons from 32 trees this morning. It has never really stopped since the warm up, just slowed down some. But yesterdays heat really kick started a few trees that hadn't flowed any sap previously.

RileySugarbush
03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm curious to see what happened today with the cooler temps. We have enough saved up to boil for an hour or two Wednesday night. Then that should hold until the potential freeze early next week. Not done yet in Minnesota.

twigbender
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Count your blessings!! Here in the north end of the state we have so far collected just over 100 gallons of sap from 700 taps. I'm hoping we have a better run beginning in April. So far, very pathetic not to mention disappointing! Is it the deep frost or the drought from last summer/fall?