PDA

View Full Version : mason xl pan vs standard pan??????

Rock Bottom Maple
04-12-2015, 03:28 PM
The web site says it makes syrup faster. How much faster would be my question. Trying to justify the added price between pans.
Could buy a lot of extras with the $400.00. (fan, filter tank, etc, etc,) Using a 2x2 flat pan, on a home made rig now. Which is a Cadillac
compared to my 1 steam tray last season. I have 46 taps, so I am guessing a 2x3 should do. Just want to THANK everyone upfront.
For all the good info and answers. I have gotten on this forum.

Urban Sugarmaker
04-12-2015, 03:57 PM
I have the XL pan and I really like it. I have a tough time believing it makes syrup faster since surface area really seems to do that. However, four sections makes a nice gradient. My thought would be that you get more frequent draw offs because sap has to travel another 4 feet to get to the draw off on the XL pan. Maybe that's what he means by faster, I don't know. If you go with the standard pan, I'd ask Bill to put the pre-heater pan off the back like the XL, and to have 2 draw offs for reverse flow. He might be able to do that for much less than the price of the XL pan, but don't quote me.

I don't think 46 taps is too few for a 2x4. It will be nice to boil a little faster and have some room to expand.

Rock Bottom Maple
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess it will be a 2x4 then. I was learnig in that direction. "room to expand" I hear you there. Was hoping for 25 but ended with 46 taps. Thanks again.

sams64
04-16-2015, 03:21 PM
I do not know about the pans, but. if your budget is such that it is a higher end pan or a blower for air under fire I would suggest the blower. I am boiling on a homemade rig with a flat pan and the difference from blower to no blower is huge. Without the blower my boil drops off every time I refire, with the blower there is very little drop off and the boiling rate is much higher.

sam