PDA

View Full Version : Milk Stone (phosphoric acid) dilution rate for soaking burnt pan?

maple6275
04-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Hi guys,

Got a nice new shiny burnt flue pan here. Mmmmmm, i love the smell of burnt sugar in the morning! After lots of elbow grease there's still a good coating of black burn in the bottom of the flues and I can't get to it to scrub it because the flues are quite narrow. Looks like Milk Stone Remover is a common helper in this scenario, but I can't find any guidance on dilution rate and soaking time. Any ideas? Or other suggestions for this common problem? I don't know if I'll be able to find MSR in my area.

Thanks!

BreezyHill
04-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Tractor supply stores have it or can get it in for you. that is as long as you have a manager that is willing to go against their new policy of not ordering in noncommon items. Our long time friend is not there ay longer and the store has gone down hill rapidly.

rates...I have varied that allot depending on how long I had for it to sit. I have run as much as 3x the suggested level and warmed the pan with hot coals from the outside boiler with good results on removing maple sand.

Remember that baking soda will counter act the acid if needed and adding more water will dilute.

Good luck!

Did you try an air grinder with the large biscuit from 3M to get down in to get some of it? I got a tool on ebay and it had a 4" biscuit with it.