PDA

View Full Version : Scratching my head

steam maker
04-11-2015, 04:41 AM
As i sit here in the sugarhouse running the worlds best invention ever"ro" im trying to justify to myself that the season is short lived and that im going away with the wife tonight . But the one cold spot i have is still running good with the pump on!!! The only problem is is testing real low!!!!! So do i shut pump off and toss in the towel or let the pump run and take chance of sap spoiling in this heat we have coming?

BreezyHill
04-11-2015, 02:05 PM
I would throw in the towel...I cant stand cleaning up the creamy goo that spoiled sap leaves. I woud rather go back to changing diapers than dealing with that goo.

I too am at that cross roads. 1.7% sugar and cloudy. If it don't freeze to night I am going to pull taps and wash lines starting Monday.

But I have had too many late nights the past week and am very tired. Roing now and another tank to do after this one.

ben

madmapler
04-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Tonights forecast is calling for temps well below freezing. I would give it the last hurrah. 1.7 with an ro is no problem as far as I'm concerned unless its a tiny bush. I've been ro ing lower than that for over a week and I'm still making great syrup.

DrTimPerkins
04-11-2015, 06:01 PM
1.7 with an ro is no problem as far as I'm concerned unless its a tiny bush.

Although processing poor quality sap can really clog up your membranes badly to the point where you may not be able to wash them well enough to restore good flow rates.

maple2
04-11-2015, 07:09 PM
we had the best run of the season,yesterday and into the night. Sap was at 1.5%.gathered over7000gals. Still making good syrup

madmapler
04-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Although processing poor quality sap can really clog up your membranes badly to the point where you may not be able to wash them well enough to restore good flow rates.

I certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone. We had 26 degrees overnight and are getting tons of clear sap still. I'm not that far from Northfield, Ma.so I just assumed he was talking about decent sap although he didn't say.