PDA

View Full Version : best tubing/taps and where to buy

huxta
04-11-2015, 01:38 AM
Doing some research before my first season. Was wondering what everyone's opinion on tubing is. I do not know how many taps I will have yet, but estimating 25 tapes per line (no main line) gravity fed or thinking about the shurflo pump. Some short steep slope, some long gradual slope.

1) 5/16 or 3/16?
2) Brand of tubing?
3) Best place to purchase?
4) check valve taps or not?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Newbie18
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Wish I could help you out, although I'm just starting myself and have the same questions! You are away ahead of me in thinking about using a pump

huxta
04-17-2015, 08:27 AM
After a bunch of reading, I think 3/16 is the way to go. I will be doing straight gravity on the steep slopes and possibly a shurflo pump in the gradual slope if I can't get enough vacuum from the 3/16 alone. From what I have gathered, D&G and CDL are really the only two that carry 3/16 tubing and fitting.

Biz
04-17-2015, 11:01 AM
You could do a "road trip" to Bascom's open house in NH :) they are doing seminars on 3/16" tubing May 1-2. A long drive from Indiana though!

If you have enough drop, no vacuum is needed with 3/16". I saw up to 14" vacuum at the top of a gravity 3/16" line with about a 15 ft drop in elevation. I was amazed how well it ran, it was all red maples and it ran as well as the sugar maples.

Taps on my 5/16" line with Shurflo pump outran the gravity line, sometimes double or more on a per tap basis. Saw up to 24" of vacuum. The nice thing about the pump is every tap sees good vacuum, not just the ones near the top of the line. The downside is powering the pump, and turning it on/off.

Dave