PDA

View Full Version : So much nitre...Not passing through filters

Twindadx2
04-10-2015, 10:30 PM
I see a few people have touched on this recently. Some advice would be helpful!

I evaporated down 1500L in the last 2 days on my 2x5 flat plan. I normally place several pre filters into and orlon filter then open the spout and drain into the turkey fryer pot to finish later. I was so ticked that I could barely get any almost syrup to flow through the pre filters let a lone the orlon. I gave up trying to pull the pre filters and just dumped the almost syrup into the pot. There has to be a better way for dealing with the nitre and filtering for a small operation. If you have some suggestions that work for you I would like to hear it, or see your filtering setup if you have some pictures.

Cedar Eater
04-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I filter the nearup through a single layer of unbleached (natural) muslin, which I boiled after purchase to sterilize. That takes out the majority of the niter while the liquid still goes quite easily through the cloth. Then I rinse all the niter out of that sheet of muslin while I finish the syrup. When the syrup is finished, I filter it through the same layer of muslin. I get almost a gallon through before the it plugs. The filtered syrup is quite clear. I dump what won't go through the filter back into the pot and rinse the muslin in sap to recover the sugar or just hot water because it really doesn't hold that much, so I really don't lose that much. I rewarm the unfiltered syrup and reuse the muslin again. It usually plugs pretty quickly when the bottom of the pot goes in, but at least the majority of the syrup goes through easily.

Dave Puhl
04-11-2015, 07:44 AM
This year for me the syrup has a lot of sediment... as you found out the orlon plugs..just use pre filter or nothing and let syrup stand in a container for week or more the better ..then make one pour off that container till you see the sediment line then quit then reheat the syrup no more than 180-190 ..I use two pre filters in the orlon in a coffee pot with spigot...then bottle

hodorskib
04-11-2015, 07:50 PM
I have always had a lot of niter in my syrup and over the years I have figured out a way to combat this. We batch boil and when we get about 2-3 gallons worth of syrup boiled down we bring it close in the pan (about 216 degrees or about 60 brix) then pour through 4 paper cone filters. When the top one clogs pour into the next one and continue until you get to the last one. At that point if it is really bad you can rinse out the others and continue the process. Then finish the syrup to the correct density/temperature in a large pot or pan and filter through paper cone filters and heavy felt or orlon. It will go through quickly and without any of the papers even clogging. I know this is not the most efficient but it produces crystal clear syrup that can be package in glass and by taking most of the gunk out when it is on the thin side it goes through much easier and faster.