PDA

View Full Version : pics of homemade evaporator anyone?

huxta
04-09-2015, 06:40 PM
I will be tapping my first trees next season. I won't know how many taps I can get in until the leaves come out and see if I can get permission from a neighbor to tap on some of his vacant land but hoping for about 50. I was debating on just going ahead and buying a mason setup but may start my first year with a crude cinder block setup. I was wondering if anyone had pics they could share of their brick setup. What kind of boil off rate can I expect with 2-3 steam table pans? Will it be able to keep up with 50 taps?

wildwood
04-09-2015, 06:43 PM
3 steam table pans will keep up with 50 taps if you have the time to dedicate to boiling. Check out Homemade Equipment forum for tons of pics of various evaps

Ausable
04-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Click on Forum - Click on Gallery - than explore all the posted Photos - You should find what You want. Hey! Good Luck next year.

huxta
04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
3 steam table pans will keep up with 50 taps if you have the time to dedicate to boiling. Check out Homemade Equipment forum for tons of pics of various evaps

Thanks. I'm so new here I didn't even see the homemade equipment forum. Lots of good ideas in there

NorthernMaineLumberjack
04-09-2015, 10:13 PM

I am new to this also. These are pictures of my cinder block arch I built and I have only had enough sap to boil once so I haven't figured out all of the improvements I want to make yet. One improvement I am definitely going to make is to raise the pans up so that they are only getting heat on the bottom. With my current setup I got a lot of scorching on the sides of the pans.

tcross
04-10-2015, 06:03 AM
i did the cinder block arch my first year. it worked very well, but things were smoky and there was a lot of bending over and ladling... so a buddy helped me weld up an arch frame! so this is what I got! 1165211653