PDA

View Full Version : This season ranks as...

Flat47
04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Judging by the latest 10 day forecast, I'm going to go out on a limb and rank this season as:

THE WORST

With its extremely late start and now it looks like it'll be wrapping up in another week or so, I'm really bummed. I had high hopes, but the 2015 season isn't going to come remotely close to hopes or expectations, or even average for that matter.

You?

highlandcattle
04-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Yup. We're with you. Frozen up until just recently and now so nasty out nothing running. Ron says "this sucks".

abbott
04-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I think that's still up for debate. A lot of folks around here seem to be easily surpassing last year's totals. I'm not there yet, but I expect to at least beat last year even if we get no more cold nights. If I had no calendar and hadn't seen a weather forecast I'd be thinking that this could be the best season ever. The ground is still frozen, there's 1-2 feet of snow in the woods, the sap is still very sweet, and the buds can't possibly open for at least 10 more days. Unfortunately last night may have been the last freeze for at least 10 days and even with vacuum you can only keep the sap coming for so long!

Run Forest Run!
04-09-2015, 07:39 PM
If I had no calendar and hadn't seen a weather forecast I'd be thinking that this could be the best season ever.

Couldn't agree more with you Steven. That says it all.

PerryW
04-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Made 99 gallons last year and am currently at 80 gallons and sitting on 300 gal. of sap. Three years ago I had the worst year in 27 years with only 51 gallons.

Loch Muller
04-10-2015, 05:22 AM
Looking like the sap yield per tap will be a little bit better than last year for me, but not by much. Counting what's sitting in my pans right now I should come out with 35-40 gallons at the end of the year. Not great, but also not terrible. I Learned how all my new to me equipment is working as well so that's a positive. Definitely going to add more 3/16 next year, that stuff runs great.

Mitchman
04-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Yup, I've matched my best year Steven, and I know I'm going to make more. Still have plenty of snow in the woods, and our nights are below freezing. I can see why people are getting discouraged though, It has been a fight for sure.

BRL
04-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Last year we made 23 Gallons. Last night we bottled our 20th gallon plus we still have 600 gallons of sap in storage and at least 5-6 gallons of syrup in the pans. We are almost out of wood and are going to call it quits and pulling taps tomorrow. We should hit 30 gallons this year. Probably sell 10 gallons and put that money towards an RO for next year and shoot for 500 taps. We are happy here in Minot!

West Sumner Sugar
04-10-2015, 10:18 AM
It has been a toss up year for us. Having no vacuum really hurts but all in all not a bad year. We have 14 gallons of syrup made and Id say we can get easily another 10 which puts us a touch behind a typical season. When the sap did come it came hard which was nice. 1 more week of cold weather would have been really nice but all in all we cannot complain.

twitch
04-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Picked up 350 gallons of sap yesterday ran very well i thought. It is running right know. By the time i boil i will be beyond what i made 2 years ago I have added a number of taps since then so it hard to compare. I have doubled plus 10 gallons over what i made last year. After this next boil i will be chasing wood burned 6 cord. I have had a good season. I would never say it was over till the trees bud a weather forecast is just a guess some nights it would only have to be 2 or 3 degrees lower then the forecast and its a freeze and the sap will run if they are calling for mid 30's there is always a chance to freeze.

bees1st
04-10-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm going to be right where I was last year , gallon wise. Only I added 150 taps .Ended up being about a qt. of syrup / tap, over 1/2 of my taps are on vacuum . Looks like the end after Sunday for me.

Revi
04-13-2015, 09:01 AM
It's actually turned out to be better than last year, but I would not have thought that a couple of weeks ago.

Mike's Sugar Shack
04-13-2015, 08:57 PM
It was my best year i have had in 3 years.I ended up with 85 gals of syrup this year. So i am happy.

adk1
04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
My best year to with 40.25 gallons I typically make 30 or so but I installed a sap puller and it saved the day for me.

Flat47
04-13-2015, 09:36 PM
You're all making me feel pretty bad.
It was frozen solid here in southern Aroostook County later than usual in March. We had a couple of decent weeks, and now it;s not freezing over night and the sap has pretty much stopped running. We still have a good 2 feet of snow in the woods, too.

gmcooper
04-14-2015, 10:30 AM
We are still going. Although it did not freeze last night after a 70 degree day sap was still running this with vacuum. Last night sap was still 1.5% and clear. Last night was our 15th boil for the season. Not bad considering the late start. This will end up our best year ever for syrup.

TheMapleMoose
04-14-2015, 06:14 PM
We skipped a season here is central Aroostook, from winter to summer. Just started to get some decent sap runs and now we've have our 3rd day in the 60s. The weather looks like it could hold out for us to keep going for a week or two though as long as the buds hold. We've made 210 gallons, half of which since Friday. 390 to go, praying we get it.

RollinsOrchards
04-15-2015, 09:22 AM
At the moment we have bottled 114 gallons, and with what we have in the evaporator we should come close to the 135 gallon number which will equal one pint per tap. For today's date we have produced exactly the same amount of syrup as 2014 on this date.

Our syrup has run in a narrow band between exactly Amber and halfway from Amber to Dark, and then back again. We haven't made anything that i would call a "robust" dark yet.

The season started almost identical to 2014. First draw off on April 2nd, and ran fairly steadily to the 12th. Last year though we also produced syrup on the 19th, 21st, 24th, and 26th. The weather doesn't look like that will happen this year though.

Mini_Maple_Men
04-16-2015, 08:54 AM
We are budded out here in China! Pans washed and stored. We made less than a pint per tap this year! All our syrup was a really nice dark Amber and all our sap was over 1.7 sugar. When it ran it was pouring but just to short a season. Oh well next year will be better! Adding 60 taps on 3/16 on the new 50 acres we just picked up.

aeautodetailing
04-16-2015, 06:46 PM
You're all making me feel pretty bad.
It was frozen solid here in southern Aroostook County later than usual in March. We had a couple of decent weeks, and now it;s not freezing over night and the sap has pretty much stopped running. We still have a good 2 feet of snow in the woods, too.

Yup...we got 40 gal sap out of woods today, but snow is gone! Last boil for the season on the new stove Id say! Only 4 gallons of syrup this year on 75 gravity taps! Not good, but still a bit of sweetness from God above!

gmcooper
04-17-2015, 12:38 PM
We had to pull the plug yesterday. Not much of a run for Thursday although it started ok and sap was clear by 3 pm sap was milky white and almost none coming in. Still ended up our best year total.

rayi
04-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Bad I had only 7 runs and only two of them were good. Made just over a pint per tap

Revi
05-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Around Maine Maple Sunday we thought that it was going to be the worst season ever. We lowered our expectations a lot, and were actually pleasantly surprised by the runs we got at the very end of March and into April. Since we weren't expecting it, it turned out way better than we thought.