PDA

View Full Version : Flue pan

theguywiththename
04-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Alright so tis the season to start thinking about plans for next year. After some long boils, I decided I want a flue pan. this comes for a couple of reasons; 1. my arch needs to be rebuilt any ways, it was only temporary. 2. there were some really long boils. I'm thinking 2x5 flue pan, making the overall evaporator a 2x8. I'm thinking of building it myself (unless somebody knows where I can get it done for 1500 or less:still a few companys to call yet). What I mean by myself is having it bent so all I have to do is weld the pieces together. I'm wondering how wide the flues should be, should I leave a couple of inches at the edge flat? Also should I just go to a 10" if I'm going through the bother? Somebody mind explaining the advantages to a drop flue/ raised flue?

markr
04-09-2015, 02:28 PM
I bought a 2x5 flue pan from Patrick Phaneuf for around $1000. I used it this year for the first time and it worked flawlessly, some reports on him say that he is very slow in making the pans but I didn't find that at all. I talked to him on the phone a couple of times so he could figure out exactly what I wanted, I sent him a down payment, and the pan was delivered on time. I was very happy with his work.

motowbrowne
04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Drop flue pans are usually a little cheaper. Raised flue gives you the ability to run different depths in your flue pan and your syrup pan, because you can have two float boxes. Also, raised flues are less likely to be damaged by firewood during firing. I don't think you'll be disappointed by adding a flue pan. Now that I own one whenever I see syrup boiling in a flat pan it just seems so subdued compared to the violent boiling in a flue pan. I've heard good things about Thor pans. They're in Canada. Smoky lake stuff is really amazing. They're in Wisconsin. You ask about 10", are you talking about flue height, or did you mean 10' like as in overall evaporator length? My 2x10 with 7" flues and an 8' flue pan will do between 60-70 gph with no blower or preheater, just for reference. And also for reference, I like it a lot and it's very fuel efficient, but... I wish I'd gone bigger.

theguywiththename
04-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Markr: Mind I ask what exactly is you pan and special stuff on it(drop, floats, etc) He quoted me a 2x5 drop flue for 1500 with 350 additional for a float and 150 shipping.
moto: yes 10" height for if I was building. I have yet to price a thor but it's on my list of to do's

with a drop flue, is there still a "header" for say on the flues?

Retsapper
04-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Have a 2x6 Hobby Hybrid Pan from Smokey Lake Maple. I am extremely pleased with it. Used for the first time this year and it does everything advertised. Sits on a 2x6 arch insulated and lined with full size fire brick with a 9 inch stack 12 feet high.

2015: 130 taps looking to go to 250-300 in 2016

motowbrowne
04-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Not sure what you mean by "header". There is a drain at the bottom that connects all the flues so the pan can be drained if that's what you mean.

markr
04-11-2015, 12:14 PM
My pan is just a plain 2x5 with no floats and only 1 outlet, I just do this for a hobbie and give some away for presents so I couldn't see the extra cost if all the extras