PDA

View Full Version : No syrup in the syrup pan

backyardsugarer
02-26-2004, 06:32 PM
I boiled down about 100 gallons of 2.5% sap and the sugar content is the same in the front and back pans so I can not draw anything off. I am level front to back and about 1/8 of a bubble off right to left. Could that cause this? I need some help because I can not afford to draw off 10 gallons of sap to make 2 gallons of syrup in the house. I have a drop flue d&g 2 by 6. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What could be causing the sugar not to come to the syrup pan?

Chris

themapleking
02-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Do you have your values set. By that I mean the 2 values that connect the flue and syrup pans. One should be closed, the one at the side which you are drawing off. The one at the opposit end should be open.
On your flue pan one inlet port should be open " the one at the same side as your drawing off" and the other should be closed.
Your sap should run in one continuse direction from the inlet port at the flue pan to the syrup pan draw off side.
It sounds like you have a value open and your mixing syrup with sap.

mapleman3
02-26-2004, 06:59 PM
when you shut down last boil, you intermixed possibly, meaning what was in the front pan went to the back(unless it's a raised flue_) what you can do at shutdown is draw off a pail of almost syrup the keep covered untill next boil,close the valves betwwen the pans too!! then when you get it going the next boil,pour the pail in the syrup pan at the 1st section (farthest from drawoff)to help move along the syrup that mixed. also don't run too deep,or try to draw off too much at a time then it floods the pans and intermixing occurs( I sound smart after Glenns seminar :) ) he said to try to get a steady stream out the drawoff if you can instead of large drawoffs. if you have questions I bet if you called him he would help you out over the phone.

Brian
02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Glen 802-426-3388

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a 2x8 Drop flue and I don't have any problems with intermixing. I may have a little run back into the flue pan on startup, but it comes right back as soon as you start boiling.

I have taken off close to 20 gallons this year off of it. It sounds like Chris' problem runs deeper than that. I do agree that your flow is probably not correct in the evaporator. I would suggest you definitely figure out what the problem is before you cook any more or you will be making syrup in the flue pan and then you will have major, major problems! :?

Chris,

My phone number is (304) 252-7770 if you want to call me tonight by 10 or so. Maybe we can figure it out easier over the phone.

backyardsugarer
02-27-2004, 06:29 AM
On a d&g there is only one valve going from the back pan into the front. You can only draw off one side in the syrup pan which is opposite the valve. There is not way to open or close this valve it is just a copper fitting. I add fresh sap in the float box at the back of the flu. Not much I can do. It is a real head ache. Like I said, I am slighly off level side to side. I hope that is the problem.

What can I do now so salvage the sap/syrup that has mixed throughout?
Chris

michaelh05478
02-27-2004, 06:55 AM
Chris, You may not be feeding enough sap into the back to push the syrup forward.. You may want to try increasing your feed.....

mapleman3
02-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Chris, they should be able to fit a rubber(food grade) or neoprene plug into the opening in the sap pan at shutdown, use it like a stopper, then take it out when you get the boil going, my evap has one to use for closing off one feed tube or the other depending on drawoff, no reason why you couldn't use one like that. I think it's esential at shut down so you get a much faster first drawoff the next day

backyardsugarer
02-27-2004, 07:57 AM
I have two of those plugs. Should I put them in, drain the back pan, Pour it all in the front and then flood the back pan with fresh sap, get boiling and then remove the plugs? I am going to draw off syrup tonight hell or high water.

Could my rig being a little off level cause this or do you think I just screwed up when I shut down by not using the plugs?

Chris

PS I am giong to shim it level before I start today anyhow.

mapleman3
02-27-2004, 08:56 AM
don't think you need to "drain" the back , becarefull when you boil this time so you dont make syrup in the back pan. maybe take "some" out of the front pan get some new in the back pan, but get it going first, watch the front temps, you may get syrup fast there too!!! but that should get the sugars to where they need to go then at shut down draw off your last syrup and let more sap in the back pan, cap off the between pipe asap so it doesn't flow back into the sap pan. just make sure you watch the level so you don't burn....stop the wood early use what you took out earlier out of the front pan to make sure the level is ok!! the float should take care of the back... confusing I know.. hope it helps

mapleman9000
02-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Chris,

I may have an answer to your problem that has not been mentioned. You said the copper fitting has no shut off. If the evaporator is a reversable flow, you will have a fitting on each side. When you are runing, you want to have one blocked off and one open. The syrup will be collected at the fitting that is pluged

Gerry

backyardsugarer
02-27-2004, 12:36 PM
It only has a brass valve on one side so plugging it would only stop the flow between the front and the back.

Chris

FMWARREN
02-27-2004, 06:27 PM
I have to say not having the front pan level does not help , but that is not the main problem. I run my 2X6 with 3/4" of sap in front pan and 1/2 way up on the feeder tubes in the back pan which is 3/4" over the flues, this creates a head which forces the syrup to which ever side I am drawing from.make sure you are feeding rear pan on the off side that you are drawing from,and level the front pan,the syrup will have to move to the draw off. where are you lacated?FM

backyardsugarer
02-27-2004, 06:42 PM
I am located in Rochester, NY. I gave it another go tonight with what I could scrape up. After I got it level I had some success. The sugar is in the front of the pan but i was afraid to take it to low so when I drew off it was not as close as I would like. It I put in the plugs to seperate the front from the back. Will try again tommorow with a lot more sap I hope. Thankyou everyone for all of the suggestions.

Chris

michaelh05478
02-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Chris, If all else fails, Give D+G a call..........