PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator insulation questions

bison1973
02-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Hello, everyone! I'm getting a new CDL/MaplePro 3x10 evaporator for this season. I have a few questions.

1. How many firebricks will this unit take(This would be just for the sides, rear, and firebox)? I want to put vermiculite in the horizontal surface under the pans and up the incline.

2. Is it neccesary to brick the ash area under the grates or would archboard be fine(if so, how many additional bricks would this take)?

3.If I use the 1x3(1" thick) archboard how many pieces will be needed for only the sides, rear, and firebox? When bricking with archboard do you use the full size brick or half size? Also, can you get the achboard from a source other than the maple equipment dealer(it seems you might find it cheaper though someone else, if so, what is it called)?

Thanks and I look forward to your ideas,

Tim

royalmaple
02-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Tim-

I just got done bricking up my arch, it is 2.5x8 so you'll have to add to the numbers but should give you an idea anyway.

I bought 120 full bricks, 20 half bricks, and 9 sheets of arch board (thanks jerry), 1 bag of vermiculite.

I used the archboard on the sides, ramp, and hit or miss spots to level brick. Used it all but maybe 1/2 sheet.

Full bricks went over the board on sides, and ramp. Also I used them as filler in the back with vermiculite, and also against the sides of the rear portion of the arch, with vermiculite taking up 80% of the space. 1 bag of vermiculite almost gone.

The 1/2 bricks were just what I needed to finish off the sides last top row, so the brick was tighter to the rail and not blocking the pan.

I didn't use all the full bricks, I bet I got 20 left.

Also one pail of refractory was enough for mine.

Hope this helps.

802maple
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Good thing you took that extra sheet of insulation ey Matt

CDL should have the info for you on your arch as to how much it will take Bison where are you located

tuckermtn
02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I didn't have much luck finding other sources of arch board - most places indicated it would be a special order and their prices were actually higher than the maple folks. the stuff I used was K-frac sr or kfrac 19 from http://www.thermafiber.com/ I used arch board and full sized brick up till the last course then used 1/2 brick up under the rails

royalmaple
02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Jerry probably one of the only times I purchase "extra" of something in this hobby that I actually ended up needing.

blackstrapking
02-14-2007, 06:37 PM
After reading the previous posts, I'm a little nervous because I've just completed bricking my arch with full brick tight to the rail. Could this fact possibly create problems, as far as using the full brick rather than half brick in the area around the rail?

Jason

royalmaple
02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Jason-

Did you also put arch board behind the brick?

The only reason I used the 1/2 brick at the top row is to get the brick more flush with the edge of the rails. If I hadn't put any archboard in first, then I think full bricks would have been fine. I just didn't like the distance full bricks stuck out past the rails with the arch board in behind.

May not make a bit of difference, I just chose to do so.

I was going to use full bricks and just notch the corner off at an angle but my tile saw wouldn't cut them in one shot, so it was going to be a pain in the A.

blackstrapking
02-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Matt, I did indeed put archboard behind, I think I may end up trying the saw idea if I cab get enough depth with the blade like you said.

Thanks, Jason