PDA

View Full Version : propane consumption / boil rate

RIFoster
04-06-2015, 10:05 PM
In a 22qt steam table pan over a turkey fryer, I boil away about an inch an hour of liquid, and can do ~2 pans full on a single tank of propane. This works out to about $20 per pint, just in propane costs.

Any suggestions on how to improve this?

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Hey RIF, your propane consumption seems way too high. I average 1/2 gallon of finished syrup per 20lb tank of propane. Here's a photo of my setup. After getting a great tip here, I now put my tanks into plastic totes that have a few inches of water in them. That keeps the tanks from slowing down their BTUs due to frost build-up. Works like a charm.

michiganphil
04-07-2015, 02:37 PM
An inch per hour on a full size steam pan is about a gallon per hour. This is a slow boil rate for a propane burner.
I would think you should be able to get 2 gph pretty easily. Here are my thoughts...

Is your burner running a blue flame? If it's yellow and lots of soot, your not getting enough air to it.
Maybe use a wind screen?

Snappyssweets
04-07-2015, 03:39 PM
I agree there is a serious loss of heat happening someplace.
I ran the side burner on our grill this year on a 20lb tank. I was boiling a 36 quart stock pot on this. I would easily go through four pots a day burning 12 hours. I was burning 48 hours approximately off each 20lb tank. The garage stayed a bit warmer and no wind. But still an obvious difference happening.