PDA

View Full Version : Deer fencing

Pete S
04-05-2015, 06:25 PM
This has been an issue for millions for years, with having white tail deer eating everything in the orchard you've worked hard on a spent literally thousands of dollars on.

Within our "orchard" we're trying to grow Blueberries. Just one row, for us, contrary to what the deer may think.

My wife wanted a fence around this one row. I thought the effort and money would outweigh the result.

SO,...............I thought we could set an electric fence up. One wire low, and one wire a bit higher. Thought being the low would maybe keep bunnies at bay and the upper would get the deer in the neck or throat.

Thoughts?

Nothing sprayed has worked, and 4-5 year old plants are just short bushes.

Thanks!

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Pete, not sure about what you'd do during the winter months, but this works perfectly during the spring, summer and fall. Scares the bejeezus out of the critters. I bought one for my parents' garden about 6 or 7 years ago. Works 100%.

http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10314071/contech-electronics-scarecrow-motion-activated-animal-deterrent-reviews/reviews.htm

spud
04-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Buy PlantSkidd repellant. I use it for all my apple trees and the deer will not touch them. They recommend spraying every three months but I spray every two months.

Spud

saphound
04-05-2015, 07:58 PM
That scarecrow thingy is out of stock...I could use one of those for my perennial flower rock garden. Deer don't seem to bother my blueberries, but robins sure do. Plastic netting has been the only thing that saves my berries. Would work for deer too I would imagine.

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Saphound, Lee Valley Tools also carries the Scarecrow. That's where I bought the one for my parents.

saphound
04-06-2015, 04:48 AM
I'll check it out..thanks Karen.

maple flats
04-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Try this idea, www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRRgIbYKgw I hear it works very well, but haven't tried it in my 4.5 acres of blueberries in 2 separate fields, one is 3.25 acres, the other is 1.25 acres. So far we have just gotten nuisance permits and shot them (actually I have others shoot them because I'm too busy with maple when the permits are good to use.)