PDA

View Full Version : adding draw off valve

Greenthumb
02-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I have two steamer pans over a gas burner that I use to finish syrup off in after getting near on the half pint. right now I laddle the syrup out of the pan when it is sryup. how hard and would a welder be able to add some sort of threaded valve that I could put a draw off so I could put the hot syrup right to the filter from there vs. laddling or dumping the whole pan.

royalmaple
02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
If you are using stainless pans, not hard at all, would take longer to drive to a welder or set up than to attach the nipple. You'd want to use a threaded nipple, say 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, then you can attach a valve to the end of it.

Father & Son
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Greenthumb,
In your pictures your half pint pan looks to have channels. Have you ever tried to finish right on the evaporator? That might save you alot of extra handling. Just a thought.

Jim

Fred Henderson
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Every time that you cool your syrup and reheat it it gets darker. As F&S said try to make the finished product right in your 1/2 pt. My old rig was a 2x6'6" flat pan and I always made the syrup heavy in there. Then I filtered it and put it in my 5 gal canner. I usually had to add some distilled water to thin it to the right density.

Greenthumb
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I have tried to finish in the pan but I have not had any luck it just seems like I can't get to correct density in the half pint. I have found the steamer pans to be eaiser to store a little up and then finish a few days off at a time. I realize that it does darken but everthing goes in plastic and I am only it for the fun and a few bottles sold to freinds and neighbors

Fred Henderson
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I have tried to finish in the pan but I have not had any luck it just seems like I can't get to correct density in the half pint. I have found the steamer pans to be eaiser to store a little up and then finish a few days off at a time. I realize that it does darken but everthing goes in plastic and I am only it for the fun and a few bottles sold to freinds and neighbors

That is exactly the way I started now I am up to 400+ taps.

ibby458
02-14-2007, 06:00 AM
They make half couplings, just for that purpose. Mc-Master-carr has then. If you have an older steam tray pan, it'll be as easy as Royalmaple said. I've got a couple new ones that are tissue paper thin, and they would be a challenge!