PDA

View Full Version : April journal

themapleking
04-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Still going going in WNY. Already at last yrs total. Looks it will be over April 10

220 maple
04-05-2015, 11:52 PM
the most interesting thing that happens on maple trader about this time is the discussion about bud break, buddy sap, and other comments in reference when the season will end. My wife and I went on Easter Sunday road trip thru the higher elevations of West Virginia, there is no buds on the Sugar maple trees above 3000 feet, hardly any above 2000 feet. Froze Saturday at those elevations, there is still snow drifts in many locations at the highest elevations,
I had a text message that one of the producers who camp is above 3000 feet is still collecting sap! I believe his trees go up to 4300 feet and most likely will freeze tonight. I guess what I can't understand how trees way up north are budding and his trees have no buds?

Mark 220 Maple

Cedar Eater
04-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Warmer soil?

maple flats
04-06-2015, 06:15 AM
My trees are still in tight bud, but with no freeze forecast this week, that may change. However, we still have frost deep down, but the surface is muddy. I think the deep frost needs to thaw before the buds are likely to open (but then again, trees leaf out in the far north where they have perma-frost).

maple2
04-13-2015, 06:05 AM
boiled in 3700gals.yesterday. still making good flavored a dark. Almost out of wood.Almost out of barrels.Fridge is almost empty.Wife keeps bugging me to get my taxes done. ALMOST wishing season was over

madmapler
04-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Went over 1000 gallons last night with my 2.5x10. Burned just over 3 cords of wood. I guess that's pretty good. Still making dark with good flavor.(starting to get a little aftertaste) Had temps this morning at 26 deg. Predicted low was 36. Now they're saying 2 more below freezing nights. I hope they're getting that up north.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-23-2015, 05:09 AM
My thanks to Pacman for a pleasant couple of hours (in a cold wet rain) touring his sugar bush. Always great to see other operations and share plans, hopes and aspirations.