PDA

View Full Version : DE in filtered syrup

maineboiler
04-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Maybe some one can help me. I have a 7 in. filter press which I have read up on and I think I am operating it properly. I charge it with DE and use 1 cup of DE for every 5 gallons of syrup after that. The syrup is at about 200 degrees when I filter it Filter paper is properly placed and the cake and waffle plates lined up correctly. Despite all this I continue to end up with DE in the filtered syrup which makes it cloudy and settles to the bottom of the bottle. What's up ? I am ready to give up on the press and go to a cone filter...

mellondome
04-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Where did you buy your papers and DE?

maineboiler
04-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Papers came with the press which I bought used The DE came with the press too although I just bought some new DE from a hardware store

Sugarmaker
04-04-2015, 09:41 PM
DE from a hardware store may not be the same food grade DE???? I would buy the DE from a syrup equipment supplier.
Doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong? But I will ask some questions. And sure that folks will chime in.
Do you cycle the first charged syrup back into the hot syrup until it is coming out very clear syrup coming from the press?
Are you sure its DE or sugarsand in the syrup? My understanding is that the DE should not pass through the filter. But I am fairly new to using my press and DE too.
We have had great results with our new press this season. What a lot of aggravation it has saved compared to 40 years of waiting for cone filters to drain. Don't give up yet!

Regards,
Chris

Sunday Rock Maple
04-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Where is the output from the pressure relief valve plumbed to? It should be back to the unfiltered syrup input or (as in our case) just out to a pail that we dump back in to the input. If that is OK, and you know your syrup density is OK, then I would suspect the papers and get new from a dealer so that you know they are for this application and not for filtering wine or milk or whatever.

1arch
04-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Although I am aware of quality syrup makers that do not recirculate the initial DE charge back into the finish pan I always do and switch the filtered syrup over to the canner only after I see the syrup running clear. This year we seem to have a lot of sugar sand which requires some bypass to prevent blow out.

maple flats
04-05-2015, 06:35 AM
When I first got my filter press, I had similar issues. It was not DE but rather sugar sand that you still have, unless a paper broke (I never had one break).
Then I learned the process better. Now I add my pre-charge DE to the hot syrup, and mix well, then filter back into the mix pot until the syrup looks crystal clear (it will sparkle). Then and only then start sending the filtered syrup to the canner or whatever you can from.
My press is electric, but I found a method for me that gets the best results. I start by mixing the DE in my SS mix pot, with a funnel bottom and hose attached to the bottom. I start the pump and recirculate back into that pot, until it sparkles (discharging from the filtered syrup hose). Then, without shutting off the pump, I initially discharged the flow into a SS pitcher while I moved the hose to my canner. I found that stopping and starting the pump gave me less than perfectly filtered syrup. Later I changed my method and used valves. Now, after I get the clear syrup out the filtered syrup hose, I open my recirculate valve, close the filter syrup valve, move the discharge hose to my canner or a barrel, then I open the filter valve and then close the recirculate valve. If your filter doesn't have all of these valves you can use the pitcher method.. Alternatively, since yours is a hand pump, it will not start with such a surge, just wait til the clear syrup stops flowing from the hose, move it, and then start pumping again.

maineboiler
04-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Thanks Chris. I got the DE from a hardware store as our local maple sugaring provider only sells this in bulk. It is not labeled food grade but looks the same as what came with the filter press. I always recirculate the charge back into the charging pot for 2 or minutes when it seems to be clear. Then I filter from the finishing pan with 1 cup of DE per 5 gallons
Maybe what I am seeing in the syrup is sugar sand but there sure is a lot I have resorted to having the syrup sit in containers for days to let it decant. Pretty time consuming.

maineboiler
04-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks Brian. I'll check into the papers. They came with the press but maybe there some better ones out there

maineboiler
04-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks Dave. As usual, you give great technical advice. I have been filtering pretty much as you describe. My press is electric as well. Maybe I need to let the charge recirculate more but I do it for what seems like a long time (2-3 minutes) until it seems as clear as it's going to get.
I agree that the DE should not go through the press but what's to keep from entering the channels in the press and filter papers ? If what I am seeing is sugar sand, isn't the press supposed to filter that out ?
Thanks----Paul

mellondome
04-05-2015, 08:24 AM
In would guess the DE is for a pool filter and is letting the sugarsand pass through.

Atgreene
04-05-2015, 03:00 PM
FYI, there is food grade and non food grade de. We use it on the farm for insect control. Non food grade should not be used for syrup filtering.

eagle lake sugar
04-05-2015, 03:18 PM
I have a 7" press as well. The only times I've had d e in the syrup are when I've had to bypass because the pressure had gotten too high. I bypass into a separate bucket, but somehow it results in less than clear syrup.

maineboiler
04-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Got it. Thanks to all. I will find some food grade DE and try again. Happy sugaring