PDA

View Full Version : Over and Out. Odd Season

killingworthmaple
04-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Well it started with 2-3 feet of snow and even on warm days the sap won't run then at the end of March watch out here it came. First time I ever boiled in April. Last night was my last boil, finishing and bottling today ended up with 50+ gallons. Much of my syrup is light some of the lightest syrup I ever made but it starting turning darker this week and yesterday the sap was getting a little skunky. I heard the peepers last night for the first time. Another season ended time to catch up on some sleep.

Nathan

BobHutchings
04-04-2015, 10:30 AM
This is only my second season, but in the context of my vast 2 years of experience (*hehe*).... yeah, this was a weird one.

I got a larger yield overall than I did last year. But 80% of it came at the tail end.

I've still got my buckets up, but it looks like yesterday was probably about it. Despite the warm weather, the sap is hardly flowing at all today.

So I may be done as well.

Also: My first post here, so "hello". :-)

--bob

wildlifewarrior
04-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I would have to agree that this year was odd, def tested our patience, I know I learned a lot because of it. Last year from 45 taps we boiled bout 400-500 gallons, this season with about 80 taps we are around 1000 gal, and like you guys said last two weeks.

I heard the peepers last night, and while we were boiling we talked about how amazing nature is. She knows when the season needs to be over and the peepers will verify that for ya.

I hope you all had a great season, we have one more boil tonight or tomorrow, last 225 gallons.

Mike

Tom59
04-05-2015, 08:53 PM
I finished up this weekend also. Very strange season. Nathan, like you stated syrup was very light, lightest i've made so far. Ended up with just shy of 3 gallons off 14 taps. Time to go fishing!!!!