PDA

View Full Version : Price per tap

chefchap
04-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Hi all wanted to know what the average price is for renting trees like price per tap or what some of you do
Thank you

GeneralStark
04-04-2015, 09:08 AM
I really depends on a number of factors like access, production level, bulk or retail, buckets, tubing or vacuum, etc... I have heard of anything from $.30 to $3.00/tap. I am paying my neighbors $3/tap as I value add and retail all my product, I am using high vac. and all I had to do was run a couple mainlines onto their land and hook up to my wet dry to pick up 100 taps. There are more there that I can grab in the future.

I am happy to pay my neighbors what I think is fair given my situation in order to help them pay their taxes and have a good long term relationship. We help each other out with firewood and share other resources. Other sugarmakers in my area think that price is too high, but it works for me.

Now if I can only get the USFS to let me lease some taps on public land...

Jebediah
04-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Have heard that New England Forestry Foundation will lease on their properties at $0.25 per tap.

crazyjackcsa
04-05-2015, 04:57 AM
I have an agreement with a couple of my neighbours, it's 16oz. per tree!

Michael Greer
04-05-2015, 09:02 AM
16 oz. per tree is pretty steep! Your total production might as good as 1qt. per bucket...maybe a bit more on vacuum.

brookledge
04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
It really comes down to you and the personal value of the trees. As you can see there is a wide variety of prices. Another factor is the location. If there is no other producer in the area that would lower the price. If there are a lot of producers you have to consider the likelyhood of another producer paying more than you. Some times going across one persons land to get to another can be an issue. If the first land owner changes their mind and all of a sudden you can't get further back to the next owner that would be a reason to pay more up front to keep them satisfied.
Keith

crazyjackcsa
04-06-2015, 02:42 PM
It is pretty steep Michael. I'm a suburban tapper though, so I have to pay a hefty price for my trees. There just aren't that many close to my house.

All the trees I am tapping will give 3-4 quarts of finished syrup across four spiles.

So that's around 15% of my total.

Run Forest Run!
04-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Crazyjackcsa, keep in mind that you can tap any variety of maple. I'm betting that there are lots of Silvers or Norways in your neighbourhood. They are both wonderful producers. My Norway was giving 3.5% sugar in the sap today and one of my Silvers was at 4.5 today.