PDA

View Full Version : Gps app or a Garmin

Bfouts
04-04-2015, 05:04 AM
I have read only a couple of these but I think it is a great Idea to map out my trees. Is there a good app I can down load on my iPhone or should I purchase a Garmin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VT_K9
04-04-2015, 05:59 AM
I use MotionX on my iPhone and iPad. I have also used a GPS (Garmin Rino and a Garmin 60 series my Father has). They are all about the same. I found the MotionX works just fine.

Mike

Big_Eddy
04-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Mapmytracks and Strava both work quite well. In my experience they are quite accurate and as long as you map all the routes in one session then the point to point spacings are pretty good. If you do half the route one day and half on another then there will be an offset due to satellite movement.

BreezyHill
04-04-2015, 08:55 AM
I use Garmin 60csx to map snowmobile trails. What you would need to do on there is to use a way point for each tree. While every tree would get an id..ie a number or prefix as to the main it is on and a number; I am not sure how easy it would be to plot these on a map.

I like the idea of plotting the trees to get the best setup for mains and shortest runs of tubing but not sure how it will work for you.

The other issue is satellite accuracy of systems: While with the unit I use you can get elevation data for each WP with its position this data is purposely scued so that terrorists cant use them, thus you can be as much as 10' of at any given time.

But there is another avenue to look at: over lay your plot of trees onto an aerial map like Google and you can ajust the WP to line up with the tree crowns for better accuracy.

I would like to hear of your progress on this as I have a bush that needs retubing that has 350 taps in a 6 ac bush. We paintball in this bush now and there are woods trails that need to be left open. This season it was very evident that the use of more mainlines can be a huge cost savings as it reduces the 5/16 tubing used dramatically. One small section I Wyed in a 1" main and reduced the number of rolls of tubing by 2 or 3. More savings than the cost of 200' of mainline, Y, clamps and end plug.

Good Luck!

BEn

The Sweet Spot
03-12-2018, 08:38 AM
I tried to use map my tracks, but it shows my location about 150' off from where I should be. Does anyone else have this problem? Also is there a way to fix it?