PDA

View Full Version : New to this site

jimschulthess
04-03-2015, 06:55 PM
My brother just told me about this site. I have been doing maple syrup in central Wisconsin for 30yrs. It started with helping my parents but my first experience was with my grandparents in southwest Wisconsin almost 60 years ago. I put out 82 taps into bags, boil over a wood fire, and finish on a lp burner. The sap has been the sweetest this year it has ever been, sometimes 20/25 to 1. It will be fun to go through every thing on this site.
Jim

optionguru
04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll be sharing your experience in no time.

Ausable
04-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Welcome to Maple Trader Jim

TerryEspo
04-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Welcome Jim, You bring to us many years of sugaring.

I hope you have some stories for us. Tips, tricks or just input is always welcome.

Terry

Bschulthess
04-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I'm Bruce, Jim's brother. I found this site while researching buying a new pan. Jim and I have adjoining land in central Wisconsin. He lives there, I live in Milwaukee.

Jim does most of the work because he lives there. Most of the taps are on my side of the land. I get there to help when I can. Justifiably, he gets most of the syrup.

You will find both of us posting here. Obviously, we will have the same stories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausable
04-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Welcome Bruce - Unless You and Jim are Twins - I doubt Your stories will be the same. lol My Brother Jack and I were close in age and we made a point of being different from each other. Made for interesting conversations as adults though.

Newbie18
04-10-2015, 08:19 PM
New to maple sugaring and enjoyed it this year. I have a tendency to go overboard right off the bat. Had about 55 taps this year (40 on buckets and the rest on tubing feeding into buckets). Made a barrel evaporator. Had a lot of fun and am planning on a different evaporator for next year. Anthony help or suggestions are appreciated

Galena
04-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Hi Jim and Bruce! Jim, glad to hear from you that sap has been 20-25% this year cause I have been getting some pretty freaky numbers...like 4l syrup from 50l sap. So glad to see I'm not the only noticing strange things happening out there.

Hope to see you back here again esp early next year, sadly my season's winding to a close here in Canuckistan...:-(

Bschulthess
04-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Galena,

We'll be around next year.

Our taps were pulled a week ago, so our season is well over, but we are already getting ready for next year. Bought a new 2'x4' flat pan from Smoky Lake, and ordered a pole barn kit for use as a new sugar shack. If we can't make syrup, we can still plan and prepare.

Bruce