PDA

View Full Version : end of syrup making.

homelite770g
04-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Well guys it looks as though my time making syrup has come to an end. After I finish my boiling this weekend I will not have anything left to use. I had been using my fathers equipment that is now owned by my mother who did nothing with it for 15 years or more. She no longer wishes to let me use it and will not sell it. Pretty disheartening but dealing with unreasonable family members is tuff. I finally got every thing setup so work pretty good too. Oh well I guess

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the equipment situation. Just grab a propane burner next year and start small if that's all you can manage. Making maple syrup is not just about the syrup, it's about the quiet time spent outside and it sounds like that's something you can really use. See you next year. :)

Ausable
04-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Homelite ------ Karen Just gave You some very good advice. Start over and start small and build back up. Never give up. Especially - If You still have Your health. Sorry Your Mom feels that way. But - Start over - don't give up.

homelite770g
04-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Neighbor and I have done some thinking and rethinking and we have found a few thinks like a milk tank for gathering and possibly some taps and buckets. Now we need to find a new location for a sugarhouse

Ausable
04-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Neighbor and I have done some thinking and rethinking and we have found a few thinks like a milk tank for gathering and possibly some taps and buckets. Now we need to find a new location for a sugarhouse

Good - I'm glad You are not giving up. Having a neighbor who wants to throw in with You is even better. You know what You need - from past experience. Best of Luck and keep on making maple.

Sugarmaker
04-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Good luck in your future maple syrup production. My guess it will be better than what you had.
Regards,
Chris

homelite770g
04-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Well I had a fairly decent setup even tho the evap was small it worked well for a 2x4 unit. Had a nice 150 gal evap a filter stand and about a thousand buckets and taps next year were were going to setup the 4x12 evap with flue pans and all still have the use of the maples the neighborhood folks were happy to see all the buckets like old times.

Galena
04-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Homelite, I am sad for you that your mom is being unreasonable and for whatever reason no longer wants you to use your dad's equipment. But look at your options and you do seem to have a few. Re the sugar shack situation...it sounds like you get along well with the neighbourhood folks...might one of them have some land that they're not using which could be big enough to use for a sugar shack? Maybe ask around, you never know, esp if they know of the situation you're in. And, with 1000 buckets going, you can always pay them in syrup :-)