PDA

View Full Version : Colour me shocked!

67HEAVEN
04-02-2015, 07:59 PM
My wife decided it was time for a taste test. Our local grocery store had President's Choice 100% Maple Syrup - Light on sale, so we bought a bottle.

Two shot glasses. One with the store-bought PC Maple Syrup. The other with my lovingly created homegrown extremely light syrup.

First, we both took a swallow of our homegrown. Mmmmm.
Second, we rinsed out palate with some water.
Third, we both took a swallow of the store-bought, darker syrup. Wow! What a bitter taste. And, it has a very strong smell too. Quite frankly I went into this test hoping that our homegrown would be almost as good as the professional brew. I'm very happy to report that, IMHO, homegrown is miles ahead. Colour me happy. :mrgreen:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2s7g7f4.jpg

Ausable
04-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Congratulations on a Job well done......Homemade Wins over Hype once again.

TerryEspo
04-02-2015, 08:15 PM
great to hear this.

yeah for us that make syrup at home.

thanks for sharing.

terry

Run Forest Run!
04-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Now, what you are going to do with the rest of that PC syrup? Dilemma, dilemma.

67HEAVEN
04-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Now, what you are going to do with the rest of that PC syrup? Dilemma, dilemma.

After I pour it into some containers for the bees (when they appear) I'll save the bottle for next year's run. I figure an empty bottle like that would cost me $3 - $4 at least, so it's not a complete loss. :lol:

Run Forest Run!
04-02-2015, 08:30 PM
It would be good to use for a batch of maple nuts. Those are killer. The recipe for that is on this site. I made a lot of friends over Christmas after passing those around.

saphound
04-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Presidents Choice is bitter? Oh the irony......*wink*

West Sumner Sugar
04-03-2015, 05:07 AM
It would be good to use for a batch of maple nuts. Those are killer. The recipe for that is on this site. I made a lot of friends over Christmas after passing those around.

I agree. I had a similar situation. A guy at work offered me a can of syrup from his families operation in Canada. I was excited to try it but found it very light, thin and not very flavorful...but it made 2 excellent batches of peanuts!

MapleLady
04-03-2015, 05:36 AM
Once you boil your own, you will never go back to 'store bought'! Such a difference in taste!

Islander
04-03-2015, 06:53 AM
We did a taste test last year with some organic labeled stuff with similar result - store bought tasted burnt and darker than any of our batches. I used it up as fast as I could making maple fudge.

DaveB
04-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Once you boil your own, you will never go back to 'store bought'! Such a difference in taste!

I think the reason for that is that they blend syrup. To me maple syrup is like wine and is best to have it just from one source at a time. Maple syrup taste differently from different producers and I think you lose that subtle nuance when you blend it. I also think that they mix in tiny amounts of commercial grade syrup which can have an off flavor.

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2015, 08:54 AM
I think the reason for that is that they blend syrup. To me maple syrup is like wine and is best to have it just from one source at a time. Maple syrup taste differently from different producers and I think you lose that subtle nuance when you blend it. I also think that they mix in tiny amounts of commercial grade syrup which can have an off flavor.

I couldn't agree more Dave. I think holding 'syrup and pancake' parties should be the next 'wine and cheese'. :lol: BYOS.

DaveB
04-03-2015, 09:02 AM
I couldn't agree more Dave. I think holding 'syrup and pancake' parties should be the next 'wine and cheese'. :lol: BYOS.

lol...I tell people all the time that maple syrup is like wine and that different areas have different flavors and "tones". I know that there are people that prefer the fake stuff over the real stuff but when they try local brand, they often will say that it tastes better than what they remember. We need better marketing!

DrTimPerkins
04-03-2015, 10:53 AM
After I pour it into some containers for the bees (when they appear) I'll save the bottle for next year's run.

Maple syrup is not a good sugar source for bees. I don't recall exactly why, but do know that it isn't.

67HEAVEN
04-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Maple syrup is not a good sugar source for bees. I don't recall exactly why, but do know that it isn't.

Okay then. Maple nuts it is.

67HEAVEN
04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
And just like that the maple pecan nuts are done. Could the recipe be any easier. :lol: Thanks for the idea, Karen.

I swear I'll gain an extra 50 lbs. before this maple season is over. Help!!!

67HEAVEN
04-03-2015, 12:04 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2cmrpky.jpg

All those spaces used to contain maple pecans. Bwahahahahaha. :mrgreen:

Run Forest Run!
04-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Good job 67Heaven. Take the scrapins' from the pot and save it in a jar. You can use that to top apple crisps or ice cream etc etc. I really like the taste when I pre-roast the nuts in the oven first. I'm also addicted to sprinkling everything with salt before it hardens. That sweet/salty flavour is my absolute favourite.