PDA

View Full Version : 16x24 planning stages. Metal roof and wall issues.

steviepap
04-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I am in the planning stages of a 16x24 sugarshack. To keep cost down I am thinking of just doing a standard pole barn style construction with metal roof and siding. I was not going to do a copula but just do steam hoods and take out via stacks. Will I be ok with condensation? Any recommendations on what to do or not to do? Thanks.

Cedar Eater
04-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Put your stack out as near as possible to the ridge. The less snow accumulated above the stack on the roof, the less likely the snow will smash the stack in an avalanche. Also, put the vapor barrier above the rafters but below the purlins.

PerryW
04-02-2015, 04:38 PM
make sure you board up the roof before install the metal roof. If you use strapping, you will have rain on the inside when you boil.

steviepap
04-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Rain on the inside even with the use of a steam hood? I am not sure what you mean by strapping.

steviepap
04-02-2015, 06:19 PM
So the vapor barrier would be sandwiched between the purlins and the rafters, correct?

PerryW
04-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Rain on the inside even with the use of a steam hood? I am not sure what you mean by strapping.

Oh yeah, with a steam hood there shouldn't be a problem.

regarding strapping... most metal roofing is installed on strapping spaced 16" or 24" on centers so you see the metal roofing from the inside. without a hood, the exposed metal allows condensation and drips on your head.

Cedar Eater
04-02-2015, 10:16 PM
So the vapor barrier would be sandwiched between the purlins and the rafters, correct?

Yep. It's a little tricky to do it that way, but it works.