PDA

View Full Version : Buddy warning signs?

67HEAVEN
04-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Are there any? With the double-digit temperatures we're suddenly getting in Southern Ontario, and above freezing at night, how quickly might the trees change to buddy sap?

Other than boiling, followed by "Yuck", are there any warning signs that 'may' indicate buddy?

Thanks from this rookie.

RileySugarbush
04-02-2015, 10:20 AM
If I am suspicious in the late season, I check the sap before firing up the evaporator. Or before adding it to the tank with sap that is good. A quick check I use is to put a little sap, just a quarter inch or so, in a stainless cup and boil it with a propane torch. Buddy smell will tell you not to use that sap.

Cold Maple
04-05-2015, 06:45 AM
I'm new to maple syrup production this year and had the same question. I asked a long time producer and he said to quite collecting when you first hear the spring peepers at night. Brilliant! That's always a sign of spring in my area.

67HEAVEN
04-05-2015, 07:16 AM
If I am suspicious in the late season, I check the sap before firing up the evaporator. Or before adding it to the tank with sap that is good. A quick check I use is to put a little sap, just a quarter inch or so, in a stainless cup and boil it with a propane torch. Buddy smell will tell you not to use that sap.

Thanks. That's a good tip.

I'm new to maple syrup production this year and had the same question. I asked a long time producer and he said to quite collecting when you first hear the spring peepers at night. Brilliant! That's always a sign of spring in my area.

I had to Google 'spring peepers'. :lol: