PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this before?

BobMac
04-02-2015, 05:58 AM
After bottling a gallon of syrup last night I noticed this in my syrup.
Never have had it before,Took one bottle and shook it up and it went away
this morning it was still clear and no sediment on the bottom? looks like little clouds
floating in the syrup,use 5 prefilters and orlin filter,reused prefilters 4 times now after
rinsing good with hot water, whats the life expediency of prefilters?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/rwmccor/1342069c-a4ce-4bdb-9013-8bedd1d9d44f.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/rwmccor/media/1342069c-a4ce-4bdb-9013-8bedd1d9d44f.jpg.html)

Islander
04-02-2015, 06:27 AM
Mine did that this year too. I noticed it the morning after finishing while labeling the cooled bottles. I can't tell if my other batches have it or not as they were darker. A little back and forth rocking of the bottle and the cloud collapsed and now clear as can be. I was worried I bottled too hot. My filters were new this year used for maybe up to a gallon before the cloud batch. Last year I didn't notice any cloud but after about 6 months it formed a very thin layer of dark at the bottom of the bottle. I think I will let it cool just a few degrees before filtering next time.

I don'the think my cloud was as prominent as yours. I can only see it in the clearest batch when held in front of a light bulb. My husband hasn't noticed it and I can't get anything by him. I don't think I could have gotten it to photo like you did.

BobMac
04-02-2015, 07:12 AM
I've already bottled 3 gallons never had it before,bottle at the same temp every time using
the double boiler.Guess it really doesnt matter its gone and for home use not selling it,mostly
give it away.

bcarpenter
04-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Bob mac. Have you checked the density of one of the bottles yet? Could it be too heavy. I had that happen once and engender I checked density corrected for temp I was way too heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobMac
04-02-2015, 08:26 PM
No didn't have time today was boiling,Was only one point high on hydrometer,I
always do that because i add boiling sap to my filters before filtering.First time getting these cloudy thingy's.
Rattled the bottles and its gone no sediment either.

Islander
06-03-2015, 06:17 AM
I am certain now this was a result of bottling at too high temp for me. I did 4 batches this year and for one of them I left the finisher heat on low while waiting for the syrup to filter by gravity. I don't normally do that. My other batches didn't create a cloud and now 2 months later that one batch has sugar sand settling on the bottom of the bottles. I don't believe it is result of heavy syrup as I did check with 2 hydrometers while hot. I have not given it the cold test.

maple flats
06-03-2015, 04:05 PM
If you have any sugar sand settling to the bottom, you did not filter it enough. For home use or gifting to friends or family I would not be concerned at all. If you wanted to sell it, that may cause some comments or complaints, and if state inspected it could be an issue.

maple flats
06-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Pre-filters will last thru several cleanings as will an orlon syrup filter, but you must never wring either or you damage the fibers. Before I had a filter press I used to clean and re-clean the pre-filters all season, sometimes as many a 12-15 or even 20 times but then I retired them and started with new the next season. I did keep each season's pre-filters thru the off season if I was going to have any re-packing from 5 gal jugs into retail sizes, but then to start a new season they were replaced. On the orlon filter, just squeeze it, never twist it, then hang to dry.