PDA

View Full Version : please help

jakecode
04-01-2015, 10:04 AM
i have a 2x6 set up, i am running about 1-1/2 inch in syrup pan, but it seems to take for ever to get a draw, i have put 200 gallons into pans but have only made about 1 1/2 gallons tops, and it is not fancy by any means, i never see the front float completely stop letting sap in, am i diluting the syrup to much? there is like a white round seal on the float damper, could this be bad? and where do i find one

West Sumner Sugar
04-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Remember it takes a good load of sap to get started. Took our 2x6 about 300+ gallons to pull our first syrup. Once you get started you should be good. If you feel the float is letting in to much sap you could turn it down to slow the flow. Just be careful it doesn't get to low and burn on you. Rather run on the deep side and be safe.

billyinvt
04-01-2015, 10:22 AM
I am in the same boat. Boiling and boiling...no syrup. I pull some off and finish it separately to ease the pain.

PerryW
04-01-2015, 02:10 PM
if your seal is bad on the float, the level in the front pan would keep rising. If it is staying at 1.5 inches, then everything is okay.

One thing to check .... if your pans have reversible flow, just make sure that the plugs are set so that the sap takes the longest possible route from the cold sap inlet to the syrup drawoff.

Retsapper
04-01-2015, 07:25 PM
I have 2x6 as well and boiled almost 400 gallons before I drew the first time. After that will draw on a regular basis. Have a Hybrid Hobby pan from Smokey Lake Maple, used the first time and couldn't have been happier with the results. That pan is all that is advertised and more.

Atgreene
04-01-2015, 07:33 PM
What is the sugar content of your sap?

jakecode
04-02-2015, 08:25 AM
thanks everyone, i probably just need to be more patient, should get some good runs the next couple of days, i do not know the sugar content, need to get a gauge

to read it i guess

Atgreene
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Pick up a sap hydrometer, or a cheap refractometer on eBay. Our 2x6 front pan holds about 10 gallons. If your running 50-1 ratio, you may need 500 gallons if sap before you draw any off. If your pan is small or your running it shallow, obviously it may be less. Knowing the sugar content of each tap will save you time and wood. Cull the low trees. Its not about quantity, its about quality. If you have an ro or a large evaporator its not so important, but if you have limited time, sugar is time.

Ausable
04-02-2015, 01:45 PM
jakecode - There is also a hydrometer for reading sugar content in maple sap. When You hear 40 gallons of maple sap to make a gallon of maple syrup that would be sap with about 2 1/2% sugar in it. So - as already mentioned - If your sap was light on sugar, it would take a lot more to produce a gallon of maple syrup. Hey! Good Luck and have fun.

DaveB
04-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Depending on your depth & sugar content, it can take 300 to almost 500 gallons before the proper gradient is setup:

http://realmaplesyrup.com/site/sap_calculator/

After that, you should be taking off about a half gallon an hour.