PDA

View Full Version : how long can u store near syrup?

cjmiller272
04-01-2015, 05:29 AM
Maybe somebody out there has an answer. I cook my syrup to about 55brix then prefilter into 5 gallon buckets. Then once i see how much product i have then i order my jars and filters based on what i need. If i store my buckets on cool basemwnt floor, how long should it last before spoiling. Last year i froze my three buckets, not enough freezer space this year. Thanks for any input

Bucket Head
04-01-2015, 09:13 AM
I would'nt do that for more than a couple days, and I would try to avoid doing that at all first. That "cool" basement is probably warmer than your refrigerator or freezer. Bacteria multiplies like crazy at and above the 45-50 degree range. I'd hate to see you lose all that hard work.

Who do you know that does have some freezer space? Walk-in cooler space? Friends, family, neighbors, anybody? Anyone have a larger refrigerator thats not in use at the moment? Maybe with the shelves removed the pails would fit?

It really needs to be cold so it will keep.

Michael Greer
04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Bury it in the snowdrift on the north side of the building. If snow won't melt, it's still cold enough for storage.

Diesel Pro
04-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Not much snow anywhere in WI at this point.

saphound
04-01-2015, 12:05 PM
How many buckets do you have this year? And is some of it older than others? If it is you better get busy. That's a lot of syrup to lose. Maybe put them in a cheap kiddie pool or something and pack bags of ice around them?

wiam
04-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Why not take it to syrup then store until ready to can?