PDA

View Full Version : High yields per tree

Swagner
03-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Is it normal for a tree to give off 4 - 5 gallons of sap per day. I have one tree that does this faithfully. And another that will give me 3-4 gallons and a third that will do 2-3 . Is it just a fluke or maybe a nice underground spring?

Cabin
03-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Is it normal for a tree to give off 4 - 5 gallons of sap per day. I have one tree that does this faithfully. And another that will give me 3-4 gallons and a third that will do 2-3 . Is it just a fluke or maybe a nice underground spring?
I would think it depends on how big the tree is, how much leaf cover there is during the summer and how high the water table is. I have two large trees close to a seasonal stream on the southern edge of the woods that can yield 2-5 gallons depending on the year.

WESTMAPLES
03-31-2015, 08:26 PM
yesterday a smaller bush i have setup vac brought in 2.68 gals per tap that day sugar was just above 2% and im still up too my eyeballs in sap from that run, after finishing 560 gals of sap from the 2 days before that wow its turned out great season afterall !!!......... after along wait tho

crazyjackcsa
03-31-2015, 09:57 PM
I have a red that kicks out an ungodly amount of sap. If it's running, I'll get 12 gallons in 24 hours out of four taps on gravity with regularity. My record is 18 gallons out of that tree in 24 hours. I have 17 taps and it's responsible for 1/2 of my sap.

PerryW
03-31-2015, 10:01 PM
I have one big tree that yields at least 2-3 times as much as other similar trees. It stands alone in the middle of a field and it's worth the 100 yard round trip to gather the buckets.

Cedar Eater
03-31-2015, 10:45 PM

Is it a large trunk with multiple taps on a tall tree that has a wide crown and is it close to the water table? I have a large tree in my front yard with two taps. It gets plenty of sun and it produces more than 2 gallons per tap per day when it's running (like today).

Swagner
04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Its a fairly decent size tree. I could still get my arms around it if I hugged it. I only have 2- 5/16 taps in it. Its on a stone wall about 30' from the road. Top not too bad but not the best either. Has trees on either side of it. Can't do anything about that though as it's technically a town tree due to it's a historical road and the own up to the stone wall it's on.