PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question about where to put the collection barrel

Marvel26
03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
I have a possible problem.....my lines are COMPLETELY full but there is only a few gallons in each of my barrels. I can only check them in the evenings so the flow hasn't been going much but it appears I have an airlock.

I have two separate lines with barrels that are located in small gullies in the middle of each line of maples so I decided that I would put a T with a drop to the barrels. the entire line is full from one end to the other but the drop to the barrel is empty.

Is this wrong?

Here is a pic

ennismaple
03-31-2015, 06:17 PM
That looks good to me. Full lines are a good thing. When the sap runs well the gases given off by the tree will push the sap down the line. If it's not running it will just sit there in the line. Make sure your pipe into the barrel isn't in the sap to avoid the trees sucking sap back up out of the barrel at night.

Some quick math for you - 100 feet of 5/16" tubing completely full of sap is only 7.7 cubic inches, which is basically half a cup of sap. There's not much sitting in the lines!!!

Marvel26
03-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks. How bad is it to have a small high spot in the line? The line that comes around the tree to the left of the pic has a small spot about 6ish" long that is slightly high but then it drops quickly to the barrel.

ennismaple
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
On gravity you ideally want it flowing downhill the entire way. Otherwise, the sap needs to build up above the hump to push through. I doubt it's affecting your yield by a measurable amount but if you can fix it that will help your peace of mind!

Marvel26
04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
It is negligible as it is only a tube width higher than the anchor connector and there is 7' of head behind that. I know the laws of physics still apply but I wasn;t sure about the yield difference which as you say may not even be measurable.