PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo 2008, Performace so far...Pleased

TerryEspo
03-31-2015, 05:15 PM
My trees have finally woke up, above freezing temps have arrived in Northern Ont. Just above freezing, but hey !!

The last couple days I have watched my new Shurflo to see how it performs and how it acts.

Yesterday watching the pump, it would shoot sap out the back end into collection barrel about every 10 mins, thought it was faulty. I pulled taps to see sap flow/pour fast, let air into lines, just toying around. Collected about 15 gallons of sap yesterday, was best day for sap this season.

Today was second day in a row for proper temps for sap flow, and I turned on the Shurflo on as soon as lines were not frozen, about noon. At the start, sap would shoot out the back every 7-8 mins, as the day went on and trees loosened up it got better. after a couple hours, sap came out every 5-6 minutes or so. Right after supper, 5;30 p.m., I went to check the pump. All good, pushing sap now every 2 mins into collection barrel.

Before seeing the pump working with not enough sap to suck, I didn't think it was working right. Bottom line, the trees need to be running to see how the Shurflo works and at what intervals.

I was thinking that sap would continually becoming out the back at all times, either a trickle or a flood, lol, but no, it doesn't. It sits humming away until it has enough sap to suck and then comes alive, pushes the sap for a minute or so then goes back to humming.
It bothered me seeing sap in the lines, drops and at saddles connections and not moving, once the pump comes alive, all sap gets sucked through.

I hope what I explained is normal for a Shurflo, if anyone can add to this or correct me , please do so.

Maybe in a few days when my trees really come alive it will get even better.

I now understand all the hype over the Shurflo, very happy with it.

Some people are pulling taps and my season is just starting.

Terry

CampHamp
03-31-2015, 10:08 PM
When I first hooked up my Shurflo in in middle of 2013, I had the same behavior you describe. It would chug through sap and stall on air. I was pulling 15" of vac after a chug and it would drop to 8" before it would draw again. I was pretty happy. It seems that most people using in-line pumps have this behavior. However, you can do MUCH better.

I played around with the tubing before the inlet to try to get the sap to continually trickle in to keep the diaphragm wet. No more stalling. Big difference. I hold 26" all the time now, unless there's a leak early in the season with 120 taps! Exciting stuff.

I have 1/2" lamb tubing and just make sure there is a slight grade (5 degrees) that runs for about 6 feet before the pump (you can curve the tube to do this if you don't have distance to work with). If you have 5/16 coming right to the inlet, I doubt you can get this to work (you'll have sap/air columns). I also tilt my pump with the inlet side a bit higher as well. You need to break any sap/air columns - not too steep or shallow. If you get it right, it will work the same each day thereafter.

I can shoot a video if you think a picture would help. Good luck!

TerryEspo
03-31-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi Jamie:

So happy you understand what I have going on. A video would be great if possible. I would love to hear the sound of your pump running. My pump makes a noise that tells you sap is about to come through the pump.
I am able to adjust my 1/2" inlet tubing, I have adjustment room.

A problem I do have is, snow melting and my pump is lowering, mainline raising, collection barrel sinking lower, lol. I don't mind making any adjustments needed.

I will definitely try to raise my pump inlet to get the perfect mixture incoming you speak of.

So, I am trying for an equal mix of air and sap at the same time, not all sap at once,,, correct ??

Thanks for your help with this.

Terry

CampHamp
03-31-2015, 10:45 PM
I'll try to get a video tomorrow- should be a good run in the afternoon.

Yes, not all sap at once. When it's running, the trickle takes up only about 1/5 of the tube volume and races through much faster than the air.

Wanabe1972
03-31-2015, 10:59 PM
I dont have a Shurflo but i have an aquatec 8800 that was a boost pump for a small RO and hooked it to 17 gravity taps this morning. I normally get 15 to 20 gallons a day off this little string of taps but with this pump hooked up it pulled nearly 30 today. i am thinking about buying a couple more of these for some other strings of taps at my Dads and brothers houses.

CampHamp
04-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Terry - here's the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6tskau0Z8) I took yesterday to show how I sloped the tubing and what the flow looks like through it. I ramble on a bit! you'll get the idea within the first minute, I think.

jmayerl
04-03-2015, 05:28 AM
Fyi video link doesn't work

TerryEspo
04-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Hey Jamie:

Ya, the link to the video wont work. Darn, wanted to see it so bad.

I appreciate you trying, I guess we all have to wait till you fix it, lol.

Thanks.

Terry

CampHamp
04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Sorry - I had to click "Publish" for others to see it. Hope it works now...

DaveB
04-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks for sharing that. This is my second year with the Shurflo's and you've given me some ideas for next year. I think I see where some of my issues are coming from.

TerryEspo
04-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Jamie:

Thanks a bunch. Watched the video twice and love it. I need to get my flow like you have, I did adjust my pump but still getting large sap surges and then dead air, couple minutes later, surge again, continual cycle.

I wonder if that me only having 50 trees on line that I may not have enough sap for a continual flow ?? I have 1/2" mainline going into pump so that should be large enough for air and sap.

Is there a reason that your ice filter is sideways? My filter is on the bottom.

I will raise my intake a bit higher again to see if that helps.

I wish I could get a video on You-Tube for you to see what I have going on. Maybe my sons Ipad can do a video.

No sap running today, too cold and windy, maybe tomorrow though.

Thanks again.

Terry