PDA

View Full Version : Does DE Effect the Density of Syrup

beltechc
03-31-2015, 02:06 PM
Let's say that you do not get all of your syrup through your filter press. You add new syrup from your evaporator to the old syrup with DE in it that did not go through. Then you finish the entire batch and test with a hydrometer. Can you trust the hydrometer reading because the batch contains DE? Has the DE altered the density and thus the reading on the hydrometer? In this scenario we have 2-3 gallons of DE syrup mixed in to get a total batch of 7 to 8 gallons.

northwoods_forestry
03-31-2015, 02:46 PM
I do not believe that the DE will affect the density of the syrup or your hydrometer reading.

buckeye gold
03-31-2015, 02:53 PM
the De should be caught in the filter media unless you have a hole. So the syrup would not have DE in it or at least very very little. Does anyone with more knowledge know for sure

Sunday Rock Maple
03-31-2015, 09:06 PM
the De should be caught in the filter media unless you have a hole. So the syrup would not have DE in it or at least very very little. Does anyone with more knowledge know for sure

I don't have any data, but my experience is the same -- never seen DE get through the papers.

beltechc
03-31-2015, 10:05 PM
It would be DE in the syrup that did not get through the press since sometimes the press clogs and some can not be pushed through. That really is irrelevant. Just wondering if there is DE in your syrup will effect the hydrometer reading.

mellondome
04-01-2015, 05:07 AM
If it was not stirred up, then I surely would not have an effect. In suspension, if it did effect it, I dont think it would be enough to warrant concern.

bowhunter
04-01-2015, 05:33 AM
DE has no effect on the syrup density as long as it didn't pass through to the finished syrup.

maple flats
04-01-2015, 06:22 AM
I don't know, BUT I have always checked density before adding DE and/or after filtering, not when the DE is blended in.

Walling's Maple Syrup
04-01-2015, 07:40 AM
In my experience, DE does affect the density. It makes your reading on the hydrometer read heavy(therefore your syrup will end up light). I never add DE until after the batch is adjusted perfectly.
Neil

maple marc
04-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Testing with a hydrometer measures the dissolved solids in the syrup. DE or niter should not affect the reading, as they are not dissolved. (Think about throwing some marbles into the syrup). However, in my experience, some digital refractometers are not accurate measuring syrup that has sediment (niter or DE) in it.

Marc

sapman
04-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I tried adding a LOT of DE a couple weeks ago as I've been having problems with filtering. It definitely did increase the density reading on my hydro. But I put a ton in. With residual syrup/DE in your draw off tank unless you have a lot left in there I don't think it would throw it off enough to be an issue.

Walling's Maple Syrup
04-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I use a double-sided drawoff tank. Each side holds 25 gallons. I fill one side, then alternate to the other. When one side is full, I adjust batch to right on syrup, add DE, then run through filter press. Today, when boiling, I got a 25 gallon batch right on syrup, then added DE. I checked it again after I had added DE. It raised the reading almost 2 full brix. It reads higher on the hydro with DE mixed in.
Neil

sugarsand
04-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Neil, after you added the DE, did happen to notice wheather or not your syrup temp dropped? I've never checked on ours, but I'm thinking that after adding realitivally cold DE then stirring it, that you may lose a few degrees which would make a higher density read. We have along boiling day and nite ahead of us so I mite have time to check it out.
What kind of season are you getting down there in Norwich?

Sugarsand

Walling's Maple Syrup
04-04-2015, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=sugarsand;279292]Neil, after you added the DE, did happen to notice wheather or not your syrup temp dropped? I've never checked on ours, but I'm thinking that after adding realitivally cold DE then stirring it, that you may lose a few degrees which would make a higher density read. We have along boiling day and nite ahead of us so I mite have time to check it out.
What kind of season are you getting down there in Norwich?

I have the thermometer in the syrup all the time. It does not change the temp. more than a couple degrees. It takes a lot to lower the temp of 25 gal. at 200+ degrees. Not a good year down here at all. First it doesn't get above freezing at all, then we cant get a freezing night. 30% crop. We will have a little over 1000 gallons of finished syrup after today.
Neil

DrTimPerkins
04-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Theoretically, adding DE to syrup should NOT alter the density because DE is inert and does not dissolve in the liquid. However, we tested this several times so far this season by measuring the syrup density with a hydrometer, adding DE to the liquid, then measuring the density with the same hydrometer at the same (hot line) temperature. Every time the "apparent" density AFTER adding DE was about 0.75-1.0 point heavier with DE than it was before we added the DE. Your mileage may vary. My recommendation is to measure/correct the density BEFORE you add DE.

We have also measured density with a Misco refractometer, and there was no change to that reading after adding DE.