PDA

View Full Version : tax software

sapmaple
03-31-2015, 09:52 AM
Can anyone recommend a good tax software program that will do schedule F form and handle Depreciation ?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-31-2015, 10:13 AM
I have used Turbo Tax for 16 years and I use the Deluxe version and it does what I need. I depreciate all of my maple equipment on a 10 year schedule but what you choose as far as time frame to spread depreciation is up to you. I do a few taxes for family members also with it. I have an accounting degree and one thing I would suggest to you is be consistent. What I mean by that is if you choose to depreciate over 5, 7, 10 or 15 years, use the same time frame for new equipment in the future. Obviously some things like tubing may need to be 5 years while large equipment may need to be 10 to 15.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-01-2015, 05:59 AM
I also have used TurboTax for my farm for the past 10 years or so. Well pleased on the Federal return. Has a few problems with the State.

gmcooper
04-01-2015, 08:14 AM
We have been using HR Block Delux. It used to be Tax Cut years ago. I know many farms use it and a couple accountants recommended it. As said above be consistent. The error check system is pretty thorough and it questions many entries if anything seems out of line.

optionguru
04-01-2015, 08:19 AM
I've used taxact for about 10 years and I own a couple of small businesses so my taxes can be a little complex. TaxAct does state and federal, very intuitive and easy to use.

maplestudent
04-01-2015, 08:50 AM
according to the Turbo Tax website, schedule F is no longer part of the Deluxe version, you would need to get the Home & Business version https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/deluxe.jsp (about 3/4 of the way down the page)

They did the same thing with other forms for tax year 2014, including schedule C. After a customer uproar (read about it here) http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2015/01/29/intuit-cries-uncle-will-roll-back-turbotax-deluxe-changes/ Turbo Tax offered a free upgrade to the Home & Business version for previous users of Deluxe. I'm not sure if new users can get the free upgrade (it doesn't update automatically when installing the software).

I guess my point is, whatever software you select, just make sure you are getting what you need.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Mine did take the free upgrade when I started doing the business. I have 2 different small businesses one of which is syrup and the other with maple equipment and supplies and it works good for them. I may go to the home and business next year to try it.

sapmaple
04-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the input I would really like to see the IRS go away like some politicians talk about but I doubt that will ever happen

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
We wouldn't need the IRS if everyone was honest but honest people are in the minority and getting fewer every day.

pennslytucky
04-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Been using TurboTax home n business for many years. You can change and manipulate things with a business and the program shows you how it affects the tax owed or return. Friggin love it. Sometimes claiming that extra $100 deduction changes everything so I just carry over instead.