PDA

View Full Version : does it still retain the nutrients when cooked?

zandstrafarms
03-31-2015, 08:45 AM
has anyone ever measured the nutrients in SAP prior to boiling and after boiling their syrup? don't get me wrong I love the flavor of maple syrup and I would much rather have that than artificial syrup but has anyone measured nutrient levels of sap vs syrup and the various ways we produce it? Does longterm boiling destroy more nutrients than slow low cooking, or fast hot cooking?

Isn't niter extra nutrients left in the sap?

Not trying to cause a ruckus but I'm just curious!

Thanks!

DrTimPerkins
03-31-2015, 10:50 AM
has anyone ever measured the nutrients in SAP prior to boiling and after boiling their syrup? don't get me wrong I love the flavor of maple syrup and I would much rather have that than artificial syrup but has anyone measured nutrient levels of sap vs syrup and the various ways we produce it? Does longterm boiling destroy more nutrients than slow low cooking, or fast hot cooking?

Isn't niter extra nutrients left in the sap?

We (and other scientists) have done quite a lot of this. Get a copy of the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual (2006 edition) and you can see the difference in sap and syrup (and niter) chemistry if you like. There are substantial changes in some of chemical parameters, less in others. Niter is largely calcium malate (calcium + malic acid....like that tartness you taste in apples....maples produce it too) that precipitates out during boiling when the concentration gets too high. Niter can also carry a high load of lead if you have any equipment that contains lead in it, so it is not recommended you eat it.

zandstrafarms
03-31-2015, 09:44 PM
will definitely have to look into that book sounds like something I should have had in the beginning of this season -- probably would have helped a lot!

CampHamp
03-31-2015, 10:39 PM
You gain some and you lose some.

This research (http://www.uri.edu/news/releases/?id=5758) identified a molecule that is believed to only occur after boiling sap.
Excerpt:
“Quebecol has a unique chemical structure or skeleton never before identified in nature,” Seeram said. “I believe the process of concentrating the maple sap into maple syrup is what creates Quebecol. There is beneficial and interesting chemistry going on when the boiling process occurs. I believe the heat forms this unique compound.”

...and this article (http://wildfoodism.com/2015/02/24/the-health-benefits-of-drinking-maple-tree-sap/) states says that boiling removed 7 compounds.
Excerpt:
"Out of 10 compounds analyzed in sugar maple sap for their antioxidant effects, only 3 of these are found in maple syrup from the sugar maple. What this means is that several antioxidant compounds are seemingly lost in the transformation from sap into syrup. Perhaps this is one of many benefits to consuming maple sap in its fresh form."

So, drink both!