PDA

View Full Version : stock tank heaters

The Sappy Steamer
02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for keeping sap from freezing in a 325 gal pickup style tank? I have a stock tank heater for my feed tank, but it's too large for the opening on the pickup tank. Obviously I'd want to boil ASAP but sometimes by the time I get back from collecting, it's time to go to my real job. If we have a real cold snap early in the season, I'd like a way to keep things thawed out so I can boil as time permits. Just kinda trying to cover all the bases. Thanks for any input.
Dan

maplehound
02-11-2007, 05:00 PM
mAYBE YOU CAN TRY ONE OF THE POND DEICERS. They are alot like the stocktank deicers but I think they do come in smaller sizes.

Dave Y
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
SS
Tractor Supply Has a couple of tank deicers one that is designed to fit thru the drain Hole and one that is a cast aluminum sinking deicer. They have several others also.

brookledge
02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
If your opening is not very big you might be able to use the heaters that are ment to work in engines. They have units that work where the dipstick goes.
I'd keep looking around at different styles and hopefully you will come across a style that will work for you.
Keith

archangel_cpj
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
TSC sells a 1000 watt bucket heater that is maybe 4 inches around and will heat a pail to 100 degrees ought to de ice a tank fine.

Sugarmaker
02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe throw a quilt over it! Shouldnt take much to keep it from freezing, unless it really gets cold.

Chris

325abn
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
How about a fish tank heater? They are pretty cheap mabey you can use 2.

The Sappy Steamer
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advise, guys. Hopefully it won't get that cold during the season,but as goofy as the weather has been this year,we better be prepared for about anything,huh?

ibby458
02-13-2007, 06:24 AM
I've always considered a storage tank freezing to be a bonus! It'll concentrate the sugar in the remaining liquid. Since they always freeze from the outside in, Just break a hole in the ice, and drop in a submersible pump. A little hot water will flush out any sugar that clings to the ice. A LOT of hot water will melt out the ice so you can get rid of it.

Of course, if it freezes hard all the way to the bottom, you're screwed.

The Sappy Steamer
02-13-2007, 12:54 PM
The solid freeze was the only part I was a little concerned about. I only have the one big tank and sure wouldn't want to have it tied up with ice.