PDA

View Full Version : Pans set in, or Pans set on top

Helicopter Seeds
03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Seeing I get some burning on the sides and tops of my pans (3 Steam tray pans), and I see other setups that are on top of the blocks.

Wondering if I should bring my bricks tighter, and sit the pans on top, with flat metal plate in between each. Although I am gaining heat transfer to the sides now, I still may get enough from the bottom, but won't burn them.

Will I slow my boil down - I boiled at over 5 gallons per hour as it is. But since I took an hour to clean, a small loss may be better.

optionguru
03-30-2015, 03:41 PM
On my old arch I had the pans set in and it makes a mess but I never really cleaned the burnt sugar off the sides of the pans. Never had a problem with flavor, your syrup will probably all be darker but everyone always liked the flavor.

Cabin
03-31-2015, 07:10 AM
Seeing I get some burning on the sides and tops of my pans (3 Steam tray pans), and I see other setups that are on top of the blocks.

Wondering if I should bring my bricks tighter, and sit the pans on top, with flat metal plate in between each. Although I am gaining heat transfer to the sides now, I still may get enough from the bottom, but won't burn them.

Will I slow my boil down - I boiled at over 5 gallons per hour as it is. But since I took an hour to clean, a small loss may be better.

I used round wood stove gasket material between the pans. I have to hold it down with pavers which I built up on the sides of the pans to give some protection from the cold wind.

VTmaplehobby
03-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Last year batch boiling in a steam pan set into a barrel we burnt the sides of the pan from splashing, evap rate was higher because flame was all around the pan, but color was VERY dark! We increased level in the pan and it helped a little, but slowed evap rate. Syrup all tasted great though.

Helicopter Seeds
04-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Spent another hour cleaning pans this morning, so re-arranged the bricks. Now boiling on top, with strips of sheet metal blocking the gaps. Not burning sides the same, still boiling pretty good.
Good thing I did not mortar those bricks.