PDA

View Full Version : Im new to this, Help!

JennyW
03-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi! I just got a couple gallons of sap from my maple tree (yep, singular!) I boiled it down, got a beautiful syrup. The next batch was much lighter, and thinner, but I thought it got hot enough, and I canned it. The small amount that remained in the pan after I poured it out hardened and was like candy, if that helps. I have two thermometers, and they both read 220 at one point, but it depends where in the pot they are located. Any suggestions? Its one tree... so investing in a hydrometer or expensive thermometer is probably not going to happen.

Also, when canning it, I boiled the jars, filled with boiling syrup and then put the lids on. Then I turned them upside down. Did I screw up though? One of the jars boiled for several minutes, then I realized the syrup wasn't ready, so I turned it off, then briefly reboiled before filling. Then I realized it was supposed to boil for ten minutes. Also, I boiled the seals because my sister told me to, but then I read that I wasn't supposed to. Both jars sealed. One looks perfect, the other is lighter and thinner, but delicious.

Thanks!

Galena
03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi Jenny, it doesn't sound like you're doing too much wrong though you do want to watch how long you boil the syrup for - it could crystallize on you. Were the therms resting against the sides or bottom of the pot? If so you may get a higher reading, you want the therm to read the syrup's temp, not the pot's.

In terms of the canning I've often seen people do what you do - fill a hot jar with hot syrup, put the lid on and stand them on their heads. I've read that you should only warm the seals and not boil them though. I'm not sure if you mean the jars or syrup with regards to boiling for 10 minutes? But mostly, so long as both jars sealed, you should be fine. There are all kinds of useful forums here, Buckets Brix and other Basics may be the best one for you, it's pretty good for us hobbyists :-)

Snappyssweets
03-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Jenny as Galena said doesn't sound like you did too much wrong.
I am new to the maple syrup production (first year). I have been canning though for a lot of years, Jams and Jelly and other things too.

Boiling the jars in water is the way I go. Some leave the jars in the water. I do enough in a batch I usually pull out jars and put more in to boil. I flip them upside down on a clean towel when I take them out of the pot of boiling water. The lids I simply set in a dish and add boiling water to the dish. Then let them sit until its cool enough to pull them out one at a time.

When I fill a jar I wipe the lip and threads. Put the lid and ring on and turn them upside down for 10 minutes. Turn them over and don't touch or move them for 24 hours. Then I label and shelve them. Sounds to me like you did well. One thing I would recommend is a good candy thermometer. They are worth their weight in gold if your canning. By good I mean $20 or so.

One other thing I had happen with my syrup experience is I found out I needed to take into consideration the elevation above sea level when boiling it. Water is 212 at sea level. Syrup is 219ish With our elevation 219 was watery. So I went 2 more degrees and have a nice syrup when its chilled. Never would have though 700 feet made such a difference but it has for me.

CampHamp
03-30-2015, 02:41 PM
I wonder if you need to do all that jar boiling... If you heat up your syrup to 190F and fill up to the top, turn over for a few minutes to kill bacteria on the lid, then set back upright, then I would have thought that you're good to go.

Also, someone here recently noted that newer smartphones have pressure sensors built-in and a couple of apps make use of that to determine water boiling point for your location in the current weather pressure conditions. One is called "My Altitude" and the other is called "Boiling" - just add 7 degrees (F) to that temp and you'll have syrup.

JennyW
03-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Thank you everyone! It looks like it sealed. Hopefully its safe to eat. :)

saphound
03-30-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm wondering how you got two jars of syrup from a couple gallons of sap..:confused:

Galena
04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
In the original post Jenny mentions one jar is lighter and thinner than the other, so it could be nearup. Well-filtered nearup can look very pretty and syrupy :-) And I'm guessing maybe she got more than a couple gallons of sap, but it was a small enough quantity that it made two really little jars?

saphound
04-01-2015, 04:19 PM
You mean like baby food jars?, ha. ;) You're probably right, had to be more than a couple gallons...or that's some amazing sap you got there Jenny!

Galena
04-01-2015, 06:06 PM
You mean like baby food jars?, ha. ;) You're probably right, had to be more than a couple gallons...or that's some amazing sap you got there Jenny!

Maybe she DOES have amazing sap. However, I am reminded of an acquaintance, who each year taps 1 big waterside maple on her property, and proudly distributes the resulting cloudy nearup in 250ml jars to friends...I just don't have the heart to tell her that it may be from a maple tree, and it's no longer sap, but it ain't syrup. Ah well.