PDA

View Full Version : Painting IBC totes to stop light transmission.

Swampmapleman
03-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Would painting my totes with black paint stop the sun from killing the sugar? Didnt know if anyone has tried this. I was gonna leave the gallon graduations unpainted so i could see the level when i drive by.

Matt

Flat Rock Farmers
03-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Hi Matt,

I would think painting them black would work against you as black absorbs the heat of the sun therefore speeding up bacterial growth especially
late in the season. Keeping the tanks as cool as long as possible and boiling it off a.s.a.p. would be the best way to keep you're sap at it's highest potential.
Maybe others have better ideas.

Either way, good luck with your season!

Jay

Swampmapleman
03-30-2015, 06:10 AM
I guess you have a point. So the plywood will have to stay. I sometimes cant boil same day the sap flows so sometimes i need to wait till the next day.

sugarsand
03-30-2015, 06:12 AM
I'm just making a quest here, l think black would be the the last color to paint, probably not a good idea to paint at all. Black as any dark color will draw sunlight. A light color, which most totes are, or even perhaps aluminized paint would reflect light.

sugarsand

TerryEspo
03-30-2015, 06:14 AM
Don't paint it black for sure.

Maybe lean a piece of plywood against the IBC to keep it continually shaded so the sun never hits the tote.
Air movement around the IBC is important also, don't place plywood right up tight against the tote.

Hope that helps.

Terry

harrison6jd
03-30-2015, 06:39 AM
I wrap my tanks with mylar faced bubble wrap. works great and easy to handle. ingot it from lowes but it can be found at most home supply stores. without some king of block, it becomes a greenhouse inside there.