PDA

View Full Version : I now see the difference between Sugar's and the Rest!

Marvel26
03-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Well, I received a call last week from a neighbour up the road....went something like this, "Hey, I saw that you had tubes on trees the other day. I have some up here if you want to tap them. They kids would love to see how to do it." That is the paraphrased and substantially reduced version.

SO, I stuck 21 taps in his trees today, 15 went in sugar's and the rest were in reds. The slope was awesome it dropped almost 30' in less than 100....3/16 may be in my future there. Anyoo, the first tree I drilled was a sugar at the top of the slope, it literally spurted out of the tree! and the reds weren't running at all! What an amazing difference disappointing too as I have less than 25 taps in sugars the rest are reds.

I also learned not to tap from the top of the slope down....I wasn't thinking at the time as it is pretty intuitive to start at the bottom when sap is running. I had the gear with me when I ran the line up and tightened it so I started at the top instead of walking back down. By the time I got to the bottom my sleeves were soaked. It was nice to see sap though.

Hopefully my reds turn on shortly...