PDA

View Full Version : know when to fold 'em

maplecherry
03-29-2015, 06:22 PM
We all have our stop firing indicators - and I was reminded today that mine was where it was for a reason. Added some written words tonight because apparently a couple of ZERO marks aren't enough. Good thing we had company there for a bailout run down the hill - thanks for the help SQ D F11457

maple flats
03-29-2015, 07:52 PM
I had a similar issue today. I sent my guys to haul a tank full back and I was boiling down what was left from yesterday. Then I got a call from my guys, there was not sap. I expected there to be sap from Friday, when it should have run, then it was far too cold yesterday.
When I got the call, I had expected them to be back with a full tank (about 280 gal) within 30 minutes. I had a good fire going, but had no water for "just in case", I had used it all up after cleaning the RO for cleaning tanks. Now I had no vehicle to haul, and the only nearby water was at my brother's, where he has a hint of sulfur. I did not want that in my pans.
Then I called a guy I frequently buy sap from and he had 37.5 gal, that was it. He brought it right over as the flues only had about 1/8" over them , but the fire was getting low. We dumped all 37.5 gal in the back pan. The situation had been fixed.
When my guys got back, they had not been able to pump from my second woods even though the 850 gal tank was about half full. The transfer line was frozen. I'll need to pump that woods as soon as I can get the line to thaw (that line is about 800' away, back in the woods.