PDA

View Full Version : Will all my taps ever run at the same time?

bagpiper
03-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Newbie question. This is my 1st year and I have 50 taps out. I had them all in around the first week of March. 3 weeks ago, I collected 25 gallons; 2 weeks ago about the same and last week about 50 gallons. I've made about 2 gallons of syrup so far. My question is; do the trees ever all run at once? So far, it seems that the trees alternate giving up a bit of sap here and there, but never more than 10 buckets are worth dumping into the barrel. We still have about 1 to 2 feet of snow cover, but some of the root collars are starting to show. 13 F. here this A.M and got up to around 40 F. today. Very slow dripping from the trees in the sun.:confused:

Run Forest Run!
03-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Yes. No. Sometimes. Maybe.

I just went out now to do my collecting. Some dry as a bone. Others trying. Still others OK'ish'. To answer in a more serious fashion, when you are at the height of the season, you'll most likely be emptying all the buckets that day. Aside from those days, it's hit and miss for me and likely for you.

wnybassman
03-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Newbie question. This is my 1st year and I have 50 taps out. I had them all in around the first week of March. 3 weeks ago, I collected 25 gallons; 2 weeks ago about the same and last week about 50 gallons. I've made about 2 gallons of syrup so far. My question is; do the trees ever all run at once? So far, it seems that the trees alternate giving up a bit of sap here and there, but never more than 10 buckets are worth dumping into the barrel. We still have about 1 to 2 feet of snow cover, but some of the root collars are starting to show. 13 F. here this A.M and got up to around 40 F. today. Very slow dripping from the trees in the sun.:confused:

Yes, and when they do it is a wonderful thing!

PerryW
03-29-2015, 06:49 PM
the short answer is: yes.