PDA

View Full Version : 30x40 pole barn

Forrest hunters
03-29-2015, 05:31 PM
I want to build a 30x40 pole barn this year and want to know what I need to think about for a 2x6. This year getting 50+ gallons per hour on my smoky lake silver plate evaporator. Want to use 2x4 construction in one corner of pole barn to section off a place for sugar shack. Blower on evaporator. Smoke stack though wall or roof? Steam hood or cupola? Steam stack through side or roof? Too many options. Cunstruction options? The 2x4 room will be sealed off with plastic sheeting to keep any sticky stuff from rest of room.

Cedar Eater
03-29-2015, 09:20 PM
I don't have experience building sugar shacks, but I do have experience building pole barns. First, I'll recommend that you make your outer dimensions multiples of 4' or preferably 8', so 32' X 40' if that won't break the bank. It's not real important, but you'll have less scrap lumber, it won't cost that much more, and you'll appreciate the extra room. Secondly, I recommend taking your stacks out through the roof as close to the ridge as possible and flashing them properly for that. And finally, your external dimensions should be to the outside of the wall girts, not to the outside of the poles. This offsets your corner posts in a little and your wall girts and trusses end up in the right places. As for the sugar room, place your vapor barrier for the roof of the sugar room on top of the trusses but under the purlins.