PDA

View Full Version : vacuum pump sucked sap up in it

calvertbrothers
03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
The other day my pump was acting very funny it was at the end of the day and low on oil so I shut it off then today the sap was running. so I put oil in it, turned it on and it was acting a little funny. Shut it off opened my moister trap and it was full of sap. I don't have a shut off on it. I'm defrosting it now. Should I be worried?

mapleack
03-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Yes. What kind of pump is it?

brookledge
03-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Rotary vanes that are hot when the sap gets in can have the sugar in the sap burn or turn to syrup and gum everything up. As Andy said what type of pump is it, will help get some answers. Also when you said you were defrosting it now, What are you refering to? The moisture trap or the vacuum pump?
Keith

maple flats
03-29-2015, 07:38 PM
I had a moisture trap fail on a 75 CFM Surge Alamo a few years ago. I had to remove the pump, haul it out to my truck (1/2 mile away) and take it home along with the frozen moisture trap. Then at home I put both in the shower and ran hot water on them for about 6-7 hrs before they thawed. Actrually the moisture trap thawed, but the pump head still was frozen. I then took it outside and ran a weed burner torch on it gently for an hour before it turned freely. I then opened one end and the rest of the water (sap) ran out. I checked the vanes, all looked good. I then made a bigger and better moisture trap, and hooked them up. That pump still works , at about 22" when I keep the system tight.

calvertbrothers
03-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Its a rotary vain pump I defrosted the trap and still no vacuum so I read the reply on here and the vains were not sliding like they should so I cleaned then up oiled then good and now its working like a charm. Thanks you guys

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-29-2015, 08:54 PM
yep my releaser failed today while out sugar house hopping but the moisture trap Clayton sold me saved my ***. stainless ball did its job. partner found it drained the trap and started it up. last I checked 28.5" vac back at it. Clayton put a shut down probe into bottom but I havent wired it but you can bet its on my list this week.