PDA

View Full Version : Age of sap

saphound
03-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Something I was wondering about today..
If you hang a bucket and it takes 3 days to fill, is that fresh sap when you collect it or 3 day old sap? :confused:

michiganphil
03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
It's 3 day old sap.
If it's warm and sunny for those 3 days, your "fresh" sap will be yellow, rotten, spoiled sap full of ants and who knows what else.
For the best quality syrup, you should collect daily and keep the sap cool and out of the sun.

Oh...and although it is much more fun to dump full buckets into your collection tank, it does not mean that you can't dump half full (or whatever is in there) buckets as well.

saphound
03-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Thanks Phil. I do collect everyday, or at least look...that was just a hypothetical. Lately there hasn't been much to bother collecting...an inch or two I just leave in there. Today was a little better, prob got 3 gals or so from 10 taps, but it wasn't all from today or yesterday. I have ice everyday too, so it's cold and clear when I look. No bugs awake around here yet, but bacteria you can't see. Would it still be considered 3 day old sap with ice in the buckets as well as the holding tank? Just wondering when to start the clock for the next boil.

PerryW
03-27-2015, 05:26 PM
think of sap like you would milk. Another words, sap will keep for several days as long as it's kept at refrigerator temperatures.

Atgreene
03-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Our rule of thumb: If you wouldn't drink it, don't boil it.

saphound
03-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks Perry. Yes I've read about the comparison to milk on these pages a few times. And I imagine an ounce or two of old milk could ruin a gallon or two of fresh milk...that's what I was wondering about. I should have been more specific about temperatures..it's been in the upper teens to low 20's (lows) to low to mid 30's (highs). It could be over a week for *some* of the sap before I have enough to bother with, but not *all* of the sap. Wondering if I should dump it and wait for better days or keep it. I've got maybe 5 gals since the last boil.

Edit: Thanks for that Atgreene, makes sense to me. So if it looks ok, smells ok and tastes ok, it's ok? ha.. even if it's.. like.. 10 to 12 days old?

Atgreene
03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Yup, if you'd lick it, suck it or drink it, it must be good. Or something like that.

Russell Lampron
03-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Even if it is a little cloudy as long as it hasn't spoiled boil it. I have made some great syrup with cloudy and discolored sap.

saphound
03-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Sap is running pretty good today, I should have enough for a batch by Wed..which will be 7 days for some of it.

michiganphil
03-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Yup, if you'd lick it, suck it or drink it, it must be good. Or something like that.

Agreed. Don't worry so much about how many "days old" it is. Just don't let it sit around any longer than necessary.
I've kept some for a week before, if it's all froze up, it'll be fine. We're supposed to get temps in the upper 50's and 60's here this week, and I'll be boiling as soon as I collect it.

Rockport
03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
One thing I do is boil mine if its going to be warm and it will keep it from souring so quick.