PDA

View Full Version : Source for tubing information?

TonyL
03-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Can anyone direct me to a source of information, (a book perhaps?) that discusses gravity tubing in detail? There's a ton of great info right here on the forum, but I'm having a hard time making sense of it all due to my complete lack of knowledge about the subject. Something that starts with the basics and goes forward would be extremely helpful, as we have a place that, to me anyway, appears well suited to a gravity tubing operation.

Would love to study up on the subject over the summer.

Thanks!

NhShaun
03-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Everything you need to know can be found here. http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/ Combine that site with this forum and you will have your set up figured out by next season for sure! Good luck

325abn
03-27-2015, 06:57 PM
I suggest not reading into it to much. KISS is a well applied acronym keep line tight and slopped down hill and you will be fine.

PACMAN
03-27-2015, 07:50 PM
North American Maple producers manual. It will have eveything you need.

TheMapleMoose
03-28-2015, 05:28 AM
https://www.bascommaple.com/item/bdim/books/

This is a pretty good book that covers the basics.

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/bdim/books/
I've never read this one, but is a guide to vacuum and tubing.
You don't have to buy either from Bascom, just the easiest place for me to link to.

maple flats
03-28-2015, 05:36 AM
Another great book is Steve Childs "Tubing Handbook". However it was written before the new 3/16 concept.

TonyL
03-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone, I have a couple books on order and I'm reading through the suggested links. Very helpful!

I'm sure that the resources you all have suggested will provide the answers to my questions, of which there are a great many. But for right now, can someone confirm or correct my understanding of a gravity tubing setup?

The mainline carries sap down to the collection tank? Laterals, branch off the mainline and run up to groups of trees? Drop lines run from the taps to the laterals? Is all of this connected using simple "T" fittings?

11-Nick
03-28-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm the same way. I read threads on tubing, but some of the terminology goes over my head. I'd like to understand more of what I read.
BTW... what's a syrup ladder?

Daveg
03-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Hey, TonyL,
Yep. It's all connected with T's. Each tree needs a T and a tap. Keep you tubing straight, tight, downhill. Someone here mentioned that you can get your tubing "scary tight"! Drop lines are relatively short (~2'+-) while laterals can occasionally be 100's of feet. Keep posting your questions here for quick, informed answers.
The advantages of tubing are: faster gathering, earlier thawing, higher sap count. It can cost more than buckets.
I like the name of your city/town.
DaveG

Rand
03-28-2015, 11:31 AM
There is also good visual information on you tube. Just search on maple sugaring tubing installation.

Daveg
03-28-2015, 11:53 AM
11-Nick,
I think you meant a SAP ladder which is a tubing connection between a high mainline on vacuum and a lower one, used to overcome a low spot in a sugarbush. The 2 main lines are connected by bunches of vertically arranged 5/16ths tubing. This is because the weight of the sap in the lower mainline is too great to overcome gravity. There are a number of YouTube episodes describing the layout. Some require air injection to help the sap climb in the 5/16ths tubing because the weight of the sap alone is too great to overcome gravity even with the vacuum.