PDA

View Full Version : Perspective maple industry statistic in a Washington Post article today

GV2
03-27-2015, 01:04 PM
"In 2013, the national maple industry's output was worth about $132 million. For perspective, the legal marijuana industry in Colorado sold $700 million worth of weed last year."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/27/why-americans-overwhelmingly-prefer-fake-maple-syrup/

67HEAVEN
03-27-2015, 01:46 PM
"In 2013, the national maple industry's output was worth about $132 million. For perspective, the legal marijuana industry in Colorado sold $700 million worth of weed last year."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/27/why-americans-overwhelmingly-prefer-fake-maple-syrup/

Are you suggesting we switch up? :lol:

DaveB
03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Part of it is marketing. In most of the U.S. outside of maple producing areas, saying "maple syrup" means the fake stuff. People don't know the difference. Throw in labels like organic maple syrup and you have an even more confused base.

GV2
03-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Are you suggesting we switch up? :lol:

The statistic reminded me of a “show me” tale I heard when I lived in the “show me” state of Missouri. It went something like this: A father planted 10 acres of some food crop and made X dollars for years. His son tells him to convert one acre to weed next season. He does and the son sells the crop and shows the father how much cash he made from it. The next year the father plants 10 acres of weed.

According to a 2014 book on the maple industry I am reading, The Sugar Season: A Year in the Life of Maple Syrup, by Douglas Whynott, New Hampshire is already spending money in preparation for protecting the maple growers when the snowless “North Carolina” climate comes to their state. Maybe a legalization law should be part of their plan too!

BlueberryHill
03-27-2015, 02:05 PM
We need to promote the "Sugar High" aspect, haha.

saphound
03-27-2015, 03:28 PM
I bet weed infused maple candy would be a big seller, ha. :cool: