PDA

View Full Version : Close Call with Revolution Pan Yesterday

Bruce L
03-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Temperature up to 218, auto draw-off set for 218.9, got the hydrometer cup ready with the hydrotherm in it ready to check density for adjusting temperature. I crack the manual ball valve a little, nothing comes out, then open more and more until the ball valve is completely open,still nothing,218.6. Look into the box, can't see much for steam, luckily I had a long handled screwdriver there, stuck that down in and voila, started pouring out of the valve, was full of nitre in there that nothing could empty out. First time this has ever happened, and hopefully only time

northwoods_forestry
03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Had that happen a couple of times with my old Patriot pan, but not yet with the new Revolution pan. I've gotten into the habit of fully opening the valve for a split second when starting to draw syrup, just to clear any niter buildup out of the valve and drawoff pipes.

Sunday Rock Maple
03-27-2015, 08:38 PM
luckily I had a long handled screwdriver there, stuck that down in and voila, started pouring out of the valve, was full of nitre in there that nothing could empty out.

Exact same thing on a manual ball valve this year on a copper King pan. We had a short boil on the opposite side a few days prior and then switched sides for this boil and had the outlet pipe in front of the ball valve plugged with scale. I've seen it before and my theory is that scale flakes off the flues in the back pan and is carried with the boiling liquid on it's way to the front pan via the pocket and deposits build up in the pipe. If memory serves me this is only an early season issue and we keep a small round wire brush hanging nearby just for this purpose.

brookledge
03-27-2015, 09:10 PM
When you reverse flow open the valve wide open for just a second to get sediment out. The issue is that while it is closed the pipe leading to the valve can build up with sediment. And if you don't get in the habit of checking the flow through the valve that was previously closed, that is what can happen. You think it will draw off but can't.
Keith

johnallin
02-14-2016, 03:45 PM
I just set up a Revolution pan and am looking and wondering what is the purpose for the manifold under the draw off boxes. Looking at it this afternoon it's just going to fill with syrup which will cool off, and then when you draw you've got that to deal with. Reading this thread confirms what I'm thinking. It's a trap for sand and sediment. Why not just draw off the valves at the box and forget the manifold? The way it's set up, other than being somewhat idiot proof with only one draw off (if you pull the wrong valve your not getting syrup), it just doesn't make any sense to me and looks like wasted pipe and a catchall for junk as you have mentioned in this thread. Have any of you changed that?