PDA

View Full Version : specific gravity of sap

RIFoster
03-27-2015, 10:43 AM
My hydrometer reads 1.002, which maps to .5 brix. if I understand this right, that means I'm at .5% sugar, or I'll need to boil down 172:1 using the rule of 86?

.5% sugar sap seems useless. Do cloudy days affect sap sugar content/production?

DrTimPerkins
03-27-2015, 10:49 AM
My hydrometer reads 1.002, which maps to .5 brix. if I understand this right, that means I'm at .5% sugar, or I'll need to boil down 172:1 using the rule of 86?

Did you measure the sap at 38 deg F? If not, you'll have to correct for temperature using the chart that should have come with the hydrometer. Also possible that the paper slipped giving a false reading. If neither of those things are happening, then yes....you have very low sugar. This is not real unusual in the beginning of the sap season, and typically rises as we get more sap runs.

No, cloudy days don't affect sap sugar content.

RIFoster
03-27-2015, 10:55 AM
It's about 40 out right now, so it seems like I'm spot on... if not actually a little worse than the reading. Looks like the whole batch goes down the drain this time.

Thanks for the response. This is the end of the sap season for me, so this year is a bust.