PDA

View Full Version : is it worth cleaning used sugarhill plastic containers ??

WESTMAPLES
03-27-2015, 08:33 AM
ive got back many plastic syrup containers this year for return maple syrup-a-holics just wondering if there is a process for cleaning them to reuse ??? ive got a basic idea in mind but want to see what others think ???

unc23win
03-27-2015, 08:52 AM
I don't reuse at all it's just not worth any risk of anything at all being wrong. I think it is great to think green and recycle, but for me anyway it is not worth the risk.

WESTMAPLES
03-27-2015, 09:05 AM
yeah im not looking to save any money by reusing but ive got enought to make a small raft LOL. i was thinking more along the lines for reuse for grade b ( i sell lots to a guy that makes beer) just thinking i could send him syrup in them ,and he can throw them out when done. that way used containers will not end up on someone table from my operation. hes a kind of person that if something was wrong he would let me know, so i could make it right ( never to this day have i had any issue with any syrup ) just me thinking anyway

wiam
03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
I do not reuse

Biz
03-27-2015, 09:44 AM
For selling, no - I use new containers. For home use or gifts, I buy new caps and reuse 'em. I run them through the dishwasher first.

Dave

motowbrowne
03-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Why not switch to glass. Reuse as many times as you want.

WESTMAPLES
03-27-2015, 10:45 AM
all glass isn`t an option as I pack way to many gals for that, I would give it to the beer maker in a 15.5 gal ss keg but he doesn`t want it that way as it would be too heavy for him to handle and it would have to be open & closed a bunch of times. im probly just going to make some haha patio lights from them by cutting off the bottoms, drilling a hole in the cap for a Christmas light. and there is a four season maple conversation piece without much waste

DrTimPerkins
03-27-2015, 10:52 AM
ive got back many plastic syrup containers this year for return maple syrup-a-holics just wondering if there is a process for cleaning them to reuse ??? ive got a basic idea in mind but want to see what others think ???

In many jurisdictions it is not legal to reuse containers except in very specific circumstances with certain containers with certain cleaning procedures.

Russell Lampron
03-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't re-use either but if I were to wash one for re-use I would wash with hot water only.

WESTMAPLES
03-27-2015, 11:10 AM
yeah I was thinking of running them thu a restaurant plain hot water wash oven, but my friend confirmed it will be a no go deal because the container will not take the heat and im looking at the drying aspect as too much time invested with no money saved. just ordered a full case in every size from 100ml to gals from sugarhill so now im trying to find some small soda or beer kegs for the beer maker syrup. thanks for all your upfront opinions, that's what I like about these forums

lpakiz
03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
I do reuse for friends and family.
I cut the handle off of a twisted-wire style bottle brush. Chuck it in the cordless drill, put on the heavy rubber gloves and wash with dish soap and the hottest water you can get from the faucet. Rinse three times and set upside down to drain.